New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know this sounds like a really dumb question, but i was just wondering, how EXACTLY do you clay-bar a car's paint finish? I've been thinking about doing it sometime soon but i want to make sure i know how first. so any suggestions, how-to's, etc. would be appreciated. thanks!
:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
wash the car as normal
I bought a mequires package with the quik detail spray and clay bar in a box. Spray the detailer on generously, break off a chunk of claybar, kneed it flat and rub it gently over the spray. I now just use the bubbles from the soap when im washing the car, just leave the area you are clay bar'ing soapy and run the bar over that (it goes much fast and saves tons of the expensive detail spray).

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but then what? do you rinse the stuff off and then buff it with a soft towel? explain further please :) thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
well if you go the 'detail spray route' you just whipe with a clean soft cotton towel.
If you go the soapy route, just rinse off and dry like you would normally wash the car.

also when clay bar'ing kneed the chunk of clay every once in awhile to get a fresh surface of clay

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Clay bar is just that, a bar of clay. It pulls contaminants and stuff out of the paint. You don't wash it off the car when you're done using it because it doesn't leave behind any residue. Follow the directions Ricecats gave. And this should probably have gone in the Car Care forum. ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yup- I just did this myself for the first time a few weeks ago and I must say it is amazing! My finish is so smooth now! So easy too- way easier and less work than what it takes to wax afterwards. (though the wax goes on and comes off easier too:) )

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys!! yea i forgot about the car care forum. whoops! :)
thanks again :)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
From what I've heard you only need to clay your car every 6 mos or so. I got a clay bar kit from Mother's (no one sold the meguiars one around here) I tried it out on my hood and it works great. One of these days I'll do my entire car, maybe right before I start using Zaino. I used dawn to strip the wax and get the car very clean, then clay, then polish/wax. Really worth it, but lots of time.

·
Administrator
11,577 Posts
Yea, be careful how often you use the claybar. If you do it too soon after the first time you run a better chance of leaving claybar scuffs (which are a pain in the ass to get out). And be very generous with the spraying of Quick Detailer.

Best way to tell if you need to claybar it is after you've washed & dryed it run your hand over the hood or roof. If it feels rough or your hand doesn't glide across (like you've just waxed it) you should claybar it.

On a side note. At CougarFest2k1 a bunch of us piled out into the parking lot drunk because we were talking about cleaning cars. I was feeling other members cars & some were extreamly rough, some were fairly smooth but mine (not to brag) was like glass. I had claybared & put 2 coats of wax on it a few days before CF. So it does help.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I hope you weren't feeling my car at CF... although that might explain the finger prints all over my car... :tongue:
heheh.

·
Registered
792 Posts
From my experience, I would not use a clay bar unless I absolutely had to. You will put fine scratches in your paint when you use the claybar. We would only used claybars when we detailed cars that really needed clayed and which we were buffing afterwards, so that would get rid of all the scratches. Gasoline or bug and tar remover will work almost as well and won't scratch your finish.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Gasoline over clay bar...are you crazy, the properties of Gasoline will strip essential oils out of the paint..
I know you've worked for a detailer, but using gasoline for anything other than running an engine is just not a good idea.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nope, not crazy. I've never seen any side effects of using gasoline or more normally kerosene, but if you look deep into the paint after claying, you can find minor scratches. It is much more likely to scratch if you have never clayed your car and there is alot of fallout and dirt in your paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts