New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a probe owner, I have made many many connections. I had a custom ported intake manifold done for $220. That included removing VRIS butterfly #1, and porting and polishing the 6 runners, and U pipe, and powercoating it Silver. That included the price of an extra manifold, so I still have my stock one. Also, I was able to get a Throttle Body bored for about $85. The stock Probe TB was 60mm...most bored it to 65 or 66.5mm But saw little gains. People say the SVT 60 mm TB shows gains, but needs a conversion kit to mount it.

i was wondering if I sent a stock Cougar TB to the person I know who can bore it for me, to lets say 60mm, maybe more (I don't know), do you think it would work. I mean for $85 to get a TB bored, is pretty good, and it's a direct fit. I emailed the person i know, and will get back to you, but wanted to hear some of your opinions on this. Also what size would be best? 60mm, 62.5mm, 65mm? I know there will be a size that is too big.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What's the size of a stock 2.5L duratec TB (not the SVT)?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...I'm just working part by Part. Getting the larger MAF, intake pipe w/KKM intake, and the larger TB. Later on I'd worry about the intake manifold. I figure a larger TB with stock intake manny could tield a few hp (something small), but of course if it were to be port matched to the intake manny, gains would increase. But hey, installing a direct fit bored TB rather than just a SVT one, that won't fit properly, should be a start.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
just a though... but do you even have enough material to bore the TB... i can't remember from looking at it but you may want to try looking at it first

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If you can get a good price for this, then i am interested...i was gonna have the same guy that is porting my cylinder heads to my TB as well...maybe i will just wait for him to do it..i would rather do that than get the SVT.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<< but do you even have enough material to bore the TB >>

Honestly, I don't know...But I'm gonna send one to him, and he's gonna check it out. He does Throttle bodies, heads (port, polish, and 3 or 5 angle valve jobs), and intake manifolds. So, since I don't have an extra set of heads or intak manifolds, I'm gonna send him the TB for now. If he can make it 58mm from the 54mm, that would be fine to me...With a 75mm MAF, every mm will count. I figure 60 shouldn't be a problem...but since I haven't actually looked at one yet, I can say. MM's are so small...

·
Registered
579 Posts
From looking at a stock Duratec TB as it was disassembled, I can tell you there isn't much of anything to be gained just by an overbore. The throttle bar bearings are set in very close to the bore which would require a bit more custom work to be done to set them further outward. This makes your quess of 58mm out of reach quite possibly... Never hurts to check though, maybe someone has a bearing with a lip on the outer edge to hold it in place instead of the inner TB casting holding it in place...

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
even if you bore the stock throttlebody the actual butteryfly is still as big as it was stock and will still be a bottle neck. I just installed the svt tb and pro flow maf last week and i did notice a difference. it idles strong, crisper throttle response, and more powerful throughout the rpm range. i am not talking massive gains but it did help and was actually noticeable

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<< even if you bore the stock throttlebody the actual butteryfly is still as big as it was stock and will still be a bottle neck >>

I promise he's a professional. he uses professional tools, along with a flow bench to check actual flow increases along with equal air flow when it comes to something like an intake manny with many runners. He replaces the butterfly with a larger on that will match the port.

If I get my hands on intake manifolds, I will send them to him to look at. If he can do them, I'll pass along the pricing. Many many mnay people on the ford probe forums board have his work in their cars. I'm getting a stock TB soon. If anyone has a upper and lower intake manifold on hand,. I'll email him, and see if he minds if you send it out. He'll look at it, and if he can do something he will. If not, then we'll just get our parts back.

BTW...he has a 1st gen probe gt with well over 300hp...thanks to a larger turbo, some of his own mods and tuning, and other after market parts.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
There is simply not enough metal to "bore". You can slide a svt tb over a stock one.... That combined with the fact that you will make NO improvement without port matching to the upper manifold makes this almost silly. The svt tb is only around $120... and I really dont see anyone spending $75 for a bored out version that wouldnt be as good as the one for only $50 more... plus they can walk into a svt dealer and just order one... as opposed to shipping and whatnot. Not to slam you too hard... I understand where you are coming from here.. I appreciate your intrests and your ideas. I just feel that a bored tb will never compare competitively to an SVT tb...

EDIT I have a stock upper manifold laying around...problem with that whole thing is the design does NOT lend itself to improvment by any means other then extrude honing. I doubt SERIOUSLY he will be able to do anything... perhaps... if hes REALLY good he could do something with dimples like a golf ball... but that tech is WAY beyond most engine guys...and cost prohibitive in a street ride for that matter... But hey... Cant hurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.