New Cougar Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Apparently, there's an 'edit post' limit. 10 posts in 7 days. oops. I'm trying to keep all the info clear. oh well. i'll do it next week, I guess.

hit the junkyard today : the 05 and up tensionner won't work. it's larger, the offset is wrong, and the mounting bolt is neither the same diameter nor the same thread. Even besides that, there's little to no room in between the crankshaft and power steering pulley to fit the tensioner pulley without either rubbing on another pulley OR having the belt rub on the tensioner body.

so, to make this completely clear : on an 01 or 02 cougar V6, the OEM-spec belt for a 99-00 Cougar WON'T WORK. there's a mistake in the part interchange databases. you can't fit a non-AC belt like you can on a 99 or 2000 cougar. this is because the timing cover on an 2001 or 2002 is different than the one on the 1999 or 200( XS2Z-6019-AA) ; the 2001-2002 one (5S7Z-6019-A ) is the same as the early Ford Escape's. (sorry, I'm as bummed as you are, future person :/ )

here are your options, if you want to delete the A/C compressor on an 01-02 V6 Cougar :

• run a stretch fit belt between the alternator and crankshaft, at the cost of no longer having power steering*; either dayco E04361 or dayco E04363 should do, but measure yourself first. my measurement wasn't precise enough.
  • swap your timing cover over to a 99-00 V6 cover and accessory drive;
  • order Dorman 34223; an A/C bypass pulley that mounts in place of the OEM A/C compressor, letting you run the same belt.
*there is a semi-popular electric power steering swap that may be worth investigating. it involved a GM or Toyota EPS unit installed between your steering column and steering rack. further reading : Electric Power Steering Increases Horsepower and Saves Fuel - Hot Rod

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
*there is a semi-popular electric power steering swap that may be worth investigating. it involved a GM or Toyota EPS unit installed between your steering column and steering rack. further reading : Electric Power Steering Increases Horsepower and Saves Fuel - Hot Rod
Thats a nice article you found, and would be cool if someone did it on our cars, but the "light" version of that conversion is to just install an electric pump, while keeping the hydraulics.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Hetrick put an electric pump in his SVT Contour. Mounted it behind the back seat space. Pretty creative solution. I thought he had a YouTube video about it but I don't see any right now.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hetrick put an electric pump in his SVT Contour. Mounted it behind the back seat space. Pretty creative solution. I thought he had a YouTube video about it but I don't see any right now.
back seat? power steering? huh? did he run lines all the way to the front from there?...

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Yeah. It was an electric pump from an Opel or Vauxhall or something or other. Lines from there to the rack. I wish I could find the details...

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I was thinking maybe in the P side fender void, or maybe way up high in the P-side footwell, although I would want to make sure its in a sealed enclosure if it were in the cabin

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Again, Hetrick's Contour has a stretch-fit belt from the alternator to the crankshaft.

I think maybe he didn't go through with the electric PS after all, but I don't know for sure.

His YouTube channel is ForgottenSVT. Worth a look. Makes good content. He's a member here, too, but I can't remember his screen name.

·
Premium Member
2,110 Posts
Honestly, just get a Saturn Vue steering column and the $50 module off of ebay and delete the hydraulic PS system altogether for like $300 and some fabricating if you really want to.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
it certainly seems like a good option. Maybe, down the line.

for what it's worth - I just started the car up, and the charging system seems to work fine - no warning lights. Dayco E040361 does indeed work if you want to delete A/C and power steering on an 01-02 cougar V6.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts