New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
hey lads,

turns out our 01-02 timing cover is the same as an 01-04 Ford escape timing cover. 5S7Z-6019-A. which explains why we have an 'AC delete pulley' available for our engine - it wasn't made for the Cougar. it was made for the escape, and we're just lucky that it fits. it may be important to note that the belt routing for the escape appears to have changed in 05, and again in 08.

for those curious, the 98-2000 cover appears to be XS2Z6019AA.

perhaps you can swap out the 01-02 timing cover for an earlier year's, but I don't know.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I would choose the 01/02 over the 99/00 if given the opportunity. One less moving part.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
the 99-00 also lets you delete the A/C compressor without having to run a delete pulley. I did it on my '00 - which is why I was looking at this thread. couldn't figure out why the routing looked.. unlikely when I wanted to try the same on an 01. oh well.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
the 99-00 also lets you delete the A/C compressor without having to run a delete pulley. I did it on my '00 - which is why I was looking at this thread. couldn't figure out why the routing looked.. unlikely when I wanted to try the same on an 01. oh well.
Perhaps if you remove the tensioner pulley and run a stretch-fit belt?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Asmoto05, while I appreciate your suggestion, i'm really not sure it'll work. the tensioner is a smooth pulley where it would have to be ribbed for this to work. even if it was, I'm fairly sure the belt will rub on the tensioner base as it goes from the crank pulley to the power steering pulley. I may be wrong, and it happens often - but I would think that Dorman would never have made and marketed an 'A/C delete pulley' if that option worked. they just wouldn't have a market. I have a feeling that, instead, Rockauto's listing has a mistake, just like our underhood sticker does, and didn't register the timing cover change from Model year 00 to 01. nonetheless, thanks for your help in trying to solve the problem.

MMC757, thanks, interesting alternative. I've never used one before. I think you (or someone else) mentioned it on this very thread. if I can find one that will work, I'll update this post with a part number and confirmation. it'd be pretty sweet. Dayco sure as heck doesn't list an application for an 04 Ford escape (or 01-02 cougar) with no A/C or tensionner. I'll measure up today and look around a few manufacturers.

edit : with the tensioner out,the string says 49.5 inches. 6 ribs; the belt would rub on the tensioner mounting face on the valve cover. no go.
alternator to crankshaft is 36 inches. crankshaft to power steering is 39 inches, but it would rub. i'll see if I can find two 3-rib belts.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The next level would be installing an electric PS pump and deleting that too. Then you just have a short belt driving the alt. That's probably good for a couple Hp.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
heck, let's go even further : during yesterday's junkyard run, I noticed the Fusion's Duratec version has it's alternator in the A/C compressor's spot. wouldn't that be swell! no more yoinking tie rods to change the alternator, and no more alternator in the way of the headers. and we'd save, like, 100 grams in belt length! 😂

real talk : I'm pretty sure it's the same block. so the alternator's mounting bosses are probably similar or the same as our A/C compressor. mmph. I'll put that info in my pocket if I ever need it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've run a non ac belt on my SVT for years. Again non ribbed tensor, same design. Same route minus the ac compressor.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I've run a non ac belt on my SVT for years. Again non ribbed tensor, same design. Same route minus the ac compressor.
You're missing the point that the 01/02 Cougar timing cover is not the same as the older style timing cover that you most likely have on your SVT. In addition to having no idler pulley, the tensioner is also in a different location. See the diagram in post #21 or the photos from earlier in the thread. Without an A/C pulley, the belt will not have a straight run to where it needs to go.

Reactions: Joeyisamadman

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Heres what you probably have on your SVT:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
MMC757, would running two 3 rib belts, one to the steering, and one to the alternator, be possible? our standard belt is 6 ribs. Dayco and Gates stretch fit belts are coming up dry for a single stretch fit belt, and google isn't helping me answer the two-belts question.

edit : there's no 3 rib stretch fit belts that would fit anyway. oh well. alternator, power steering and crankshaft, no tensioner involved, measures at 49.5 inches. no stretch belt is made for that length. alternator to crankshaft is 36 inches. crankshaft to power steering is 39 inches.

DAYCO E040361 and DAYCO E040363 would get you an alternator, but no power steering.

I think we're down to an alternator swap, or some sort of tensioner clocking.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Mmmm no I'm running the escape timing cover on my hybrid. Nice try tho.
Can you post a pic so Joey can see how it clears the tensioner arm? Visually, it looks like it wouldnt work.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
This path doesnt work

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
This one doesnt appear to work:

What are we missing?

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I appreciate the effort you're putting into this with me. I saw the same issues with the routing as you're seeing now. I might indeed grab a pulley - It's just a lot of fun to think at what's possible - a puzzle that didn't come in a cardboard box, sort of.

a stretch belt for a 2012 Mustang or 2011 Edge would get us a working alternator, but still, no power steering.

edit : Lads, I think I've got something. the tensioner used on the 05 and later escapes (and a bunch of other vehicles.. DAYCO 89370) looks like it might mount to the 04 timing cover if you grind down one of the two locating nubs. it would effectively give us an 04 tensioner, but clocked 90 degrees inboard and pulling clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. so we'd have a tensioner pushing in the middle of the span between the crank and power steering, keeping adequate tension.

It'd be tight as hell between the power steering pulley and the tensioner base, but it might work provided with an adequate length belt. I'll hop by the local junkyard tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts