New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Cougar that the serp belt came off. My air conditioner compressor pulley (?? terminology) is frozen. Is it possible to bypass the air conditioner pulley for now until I can get a replacement? I would love to get my hands on diagrams for Cougars with and without A/C

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
THe diagram for yours is on a decal on your passenger's side strut tower. Pretty sure it shows the diagram both with and without the AC. You will need a shorter belt.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah unfortunately I have not been able to find it online, so if the print on your strut tower is covered or lost you may have to go out and buy a Chilton's for it. Well worth the $20, but if you're just putting a new belt on it goes: from top of alternator to top of idler pulley, top of idler pulley to top of power steering pump, top of ps pump to top of A/C compressor (if there), bottom of A/C pump to bottom of crankcase pulley, top of crankcase pulley to bottom of belt tensioner, top of belt tensioner to bottom of alternator.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry didn't read the whole post I guess...but if you're looking for a way to bypass the A/C unit then just tell your local autoparts guy you need a belt for your year Cougar and tell him it's w/o the A/C. Then just don't wire to the A/C. I also gave you the V6 directions in the last post if you need the I4 diagram post that you need it and I can see what's in my Chilton's.

·
8,528 Posts
...if you're looking for a way to bypass the A/C unit then just tell your local autoparts guy you need a belt ...
I've had bad luck with this. Twice I've ordered belts for my engines (the Cougar and the camper, both of which have standard accessories and all), being sure to give the correct engine information, and both times I got the wrong belts. Perhaps others have had better luck than me.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
I've had bad luck with this. Twice I've ordered belts for my engines (the Cougar and the camper, both of which have standard accessories and all), being sure to give the correct engine information, and both times I got the wrong belts. Perhaps others have had better luck than me.
IIRC, you have to tell them you have a 99 in order to get the correct length for the AC delete belt...

atleast thats how it was @ advanced when I had mine and the ac compressor clutch on it locked up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As for the belt diagram I found while looking for other stuff.
It's shown in page 47 of the 2.5L V6 factory built manual you can find in the 2.5 duratech performance sticky threads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had to bring this thread back to life to post some startling news.

On my '01 cougar v6. The serpentine belt diagram is completely different than the diagram shows

I have no idler pulley above the alternator
My tensioner is on the right side of the crank pulley. Not the left

I got a belt from autozone that was a bit too short. But is exactly the same length as a belt from another v6
Has anyone else came across this?

·
5,265 Posts
2001+ use a different timing cover, and the belt pattern is different than the prior model years, so the length is different too. I also believe that people have said the belt diagram on the strut tower may be incorrect as well. It's possible that you got the wrong year belt from the parts guy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
2001+ use a different timing cover, and the belt pattern is different than the prior model years, so the length is different too. I also believe that people have said the belt diagram on the strut tower may be incorrect as well. It's possible that you got the wrong year belt from the parts guy.
That is correct, the diagram on the strut tower shows the tensioner in the 1999-2000 location. I just put my serpentine belt on yesterday. Don't trust the strut tower diagram. Look at how the factory build manual tells you to do it.

·
8,528 Posts
Yeah, I was noticing this on Heather's car at CougarFest. Nice one, Ford!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello, I have a similar issue like what linkeds2 had. I have a 2002 Cougar, engine blew up. Got a replacement motor online. I was told it is a 2001 Cougar engine but we could not get the correct belt or the tensioner. Also it did not have a idler pulley. Strut cover under the hood did not help since it shows a idler pulley. So the 2002 Cougar belt I got from autozone was atleast 10 – 12 inches longer. We put on a custom belt which was not the right fit. So it gives a squeal whenever I do a cold start. No garage was willing to help since I have swapped it with another motor. My mechanic is helpless as well. I even called up a buddy at ford parts and gave the number on the timing cover(1G400AA 6/27/2001 8A55). He could nt tell me as well. I came to know of this forum from another site. This is my last resort. Have posted the pics. Please help. I know you guys come with rich knowledge on Cougars and this will be a easy one..

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The gator back part # for an '01 without the idler pulley is 4060817. You should be able to cross-reference the belt length easily for other brands. As for the diagram, it's pretty easy to figure out once you have the right length belt. Use the same path, just without the idler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Took my belt off yesterday for alternator swap...confirmed that the belt path shown on the drawing is the correct path, just ignore the idler on the drawing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
You have the 01-02 belt routing wrong on the new engine, it should look like my picture below, where the belt wraps around the crank pulley doing a 180, then going around the tensioner and going back to the alternator.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts