New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked up in all the archived posts and such but none of them really addressed my question specifically. A friend of mine had 18" Velox Rims on his Celica and 3 out of 4 rims became bent and ruined just from driving around and i guess hitting the occational pothole and speedbump and such. I'm buying new rims right now but i'm abit timid to get 18"s because of what happened to his. I'm just wondering if that has happened to anyone else, and if i got 17"s do you think the extra tire under there would help prevent that from happening? Thanks I appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Depends on the profile of the tire too. The lower you go the less "Tire" you have to protect!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But are the Cougar wheel well's large enough that the "amount of tire" on 18"s is enough to keep that from happening?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
two of mine bent after 35k miles. kinda sucked but eh, it was fun while it lasted. the other two i still use for when i get flats. roll on 18's and 17's....thats the trend now right, big and small wheels. whatever

but yes, i have, i know a bunch of people that also have bent their wheels from just daily driving. usually its a random pothole or road debris.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I bent my stock 16s with normal use ... its all a matter of driving style and the roads your car sees.... St Louis sucks for pot holes.

·
Administrator
15,609 Posts
My new 18s aren't going to last long. The roads and streets around here are HORRIBLE.

I'm looking forward to buying new ones, but at least I'll always have a fresh look to my car :crazy:

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
My first set of 18" knockoffs got bent about 20 minutes after leaving the shop. (Hit a pothole, blew the tire, bent the wheel.) Since then I've been very lucky, and I haven't bent anything. Even with the NE-0's, hitting a 50lb bag of salt on the highway at 65+ mph it didn't bend. And I drive hard on the QT's daily, as well. Generally the heavier the wheel, the stronger it is, but that's not always the case. I have some lightweight wheels that are super-strong, but their cost prohibits me from driving on them daily.

E1

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I've been lucky I guess....I've had my Enkie CDR9's on the car for 3 years and pretty much have beaten the hell out them....you name it, I've probably hit it....haven't bent them yet after 2 sets of tires.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
my tsw's have seen a LOT of abuse, and funny enough i was destroying tires all the time, but the rims are still rock solid...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.