New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading up on the ST200 cougar which uses a MTX75 transmission and it said that it was modified to have a longer 5th gear while keep all other gears similiar..

Has anyone used these gears??

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
The ST200 has closer gear ratios in 4th and 5th and slghtly closer 3rd...

However they have the 3.8 final drives, and that will slow overall acceleration...

I have that gear set with a 4.5 final drive

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
PGTATX, what do you think your top speed is going to be reduced to with the EuroSpec tranny? 110? Lower????

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
If my calculations are correct, the Cougar fitted with the 4.5 Final Drive would top out around 129MPH ... a 14MPH drop. The higher the Final Drive number, the lower your top speed, but the higher your acceleration rate. This means better 0-60/corner exiting, but slower top end. It places the engine at a higher RPM though, thus consuming more fuel at highway cruise speeds. Cruising at 3,000 RPM's in 5th gear now equates to cruising at 3,000+ RPM ... requiring more gas = lower MPG. Expect much better acceleration, but terrible gas milage.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
top speed may even be a tad lower...

With the latter gear ratios being "shorter" in comparison to the taller stock ones, I should be around the 120mph at 7K...

I'll be cruising around in 4th gear...

But I should fly through the gears being in the "Sweet spot" of the power band the entire time.

·
Registered
558 Posts
PGTATX, it seems like ur mods are goal specific.......what is ur goal/use of ur coug????

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I was trying to get the car to have optimal gearing for the drag, and every now and then a auto-x run.

I was looking to have 4th gear reach 100-105mph (max) at 7000rpm. This would basically have me run through every gear 1-4 staying in the powerband after every shift.

I figured on a 55, 65, or 75 shot I wouldnt make it past maybe 105mph, and NA probably not past 95mph trap speeds on the 1/4. So I get full use of each gear pulling all the way though. with the 4.5 on a stock gear set people have seen a solid .3 drop of 1/4 mile times (in contours). With the slightly shorter gearing to follow, I should hopefully drop another tenth, and with proper tires and some weight reduction, I should be pulling off mid 14's all day with no problems. Add the N2O and some hardcore tires...and I'd like to drop into the mid 13's.

Should make for a fun NA and N2O powered car...

And my engine won't be taking much of a beating from heavy mods at all times. I spray very very very rarely.

It's all in the gearing...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Youll go 130mph pgtatx.... and you KNOW how I know that :)

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Mabe I'm a little slow at 1am...but what do you mean???

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Originally posted by: exigent
Youll go 130mph pgtatx.... and you KNOW how I know that :)
He was on Leo Capaldi's pit crew ... thanks for backing me on this one ... I knew my calculations where correct ;)

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Leo's redline is at 7500 rpm iirc...

My tranny and the install of the internals were done by Leo. And we even had dinner with him and his wife in Las Vegas last week. Was nice to finally meet him after speaking to him on the phone almost like daily. He ROCKS btw...

I was told 125-130 mph at the 7000 mark...

So obviously it'll be lower at the 6750 mark...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts