New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of signing up as a bidder on Copart. has anyone purchased a vehicle through their auction service and what was your experience? There's currently a cougar I'd be interested in buying.
https://www.copart.com/lot/53732098

Just wondering if anyone has any good or bad luck. Trying to find a good parts car before things start becoming impossible to find.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The Jag was a copart car

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried to sign up yet but I wouldn't be opposed to going through a broker for the purchase, although everything always depends on price. Hey Rooster, were you able to purchase it yourself, or did you have to go through a broker.

Scullin, I know that in Mass you can't go to the regular auctions without a dealer license, but I wasn't sure of this one since it's in PA.

The big question I still have about this car is why it was totaled out. Doesn't look like body damage, I'm wondering if the undercarriage has damage. They don't have any description about the damage at all.

Making a drive out with my truck and a trailer wouldn't be a big deal for the right car.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I bought it myself. Some states don't require a broker. I was in GA at the time.
I think I paid 650 for the car auction fees and taxes it ended up being closer to 1150 all said and done out the door. A broker on top of it would be all that plus broker fees which is a couple hundred bucks. For a 2007 Xtype it was worth it. For a 02 cougar probably not.

Speaking of that. An insurance company totaled that car. The way they figure it out is using the blue book value if the damage is like 60-75 percent of the book value its totaled. Different insurance companies use different percentages but its figured the same.
Basically if the cars value is 100 bucks and you have to spend 60 bucks in repair its totaled. With our cars valuing at like 750 bucks for the car 500 dollars damage would almost total it. Most body shops that pretty much pays to replace the bumper.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
PA has auctions open to the public, so I dont think a broker is a requirement.
The paint is probably worse than is really showing up in the photos so the rear bumper repair would also require a full re-paint.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
So yeah re reading it, it totalled because damage was 75% or greater the value of the car. Sad day when the 75% or greaters primary damage can be listed as minor dents and scratches on a run and drive car.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've bought 3 cars from Copart, in PA, and had great experiences in general. My second 2000 Yellow Special Edition was also Salvage titled, but in PA, so I had to have it rebuilt. I also bought my 1986 Bronco 2 and 1999 Ford Explorer from Copart.

Things to consider:
FEES - On a $500 bid, the final out the door price is like $785. The scale changes as the price goes higher, so just know what your total is going to be before you bid.
RUNS and DRIVES - Doesn't mean much, but it does mean that it runs and moved forward and backward under its own power. By no means was it driven through all gears.

They will let you tow a vehicle away without a plate and insurance, but if you want to drive it, you have to have insurance and transfer the title into your name.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I'm not near York Haven or I'd look at this for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have alot of experience with copart and here are a few of my observations and scams i have seen:

there are alot of hidden "fees" ---- for example you can buy a small landscape trailer for $250, but when you are done, it will be closer to $700 before you will be able to take it out the gate....
1. there is a fee if you pay with a credit card
2. there is a fee if you bid online {internet} versus going to the lot and bidding on their computers
3. there is a fee to pay the lot tractor to bring it out to you in parking lot and load it, etc
4. there is a paperwork fee to process the title / tag / bill-of-sale
5. sometimes there is a key making fee
6. the daily storage fee is approx $10 if you do not pick it up quickly
7.. the taxes --- you will pay a "sales tax" on the purchase to copart, and then when you try to get it registered in your state, the tag office will charge you the "ad valorem" tax or value tax.. Then the tag office tells you that copart was not supposed to charge tax on a vehicle purchase.... copart will not refund the tax, and it ends up being a big circle of blame --- where does the money go?

do not believe the "run and drive" b.s. --- the camera guys will only take pics of the good side and avoid the dents, lower damage and bald tires, etc.. ..the run & drive cars usually will have a dead battery and at least 1 flat tire, and i have seen many cars & trucks that looked good , but had a bent frame or other damage underneath {inlcuding the forklift damage from moving them around} --- the forklifts will crush fuel lines, exhaust pipes/cats, tear the e-brake cable and tear the ABS wires.... a couple years ago, i had a 4x4 truck with a busted bell housing & transmission barely hanging and i bought another one that was missing the transfer case altogether {all were run & drive vehicles or "enhanced" vehicles}.....

do not leave the lot or pickup a vehicle that is not as described

here is a partial list of the states that will allow anyone to buy at copart without having a broker or a dealer license......

homeowners without a automobile dealer license can purchase the following type of vehicles, depending on the state where the auction is held, not the vehicle titled state. . . . some ATVs are titled, and some are not:

georgia : salvage titles only, and all Boats/ Jets Skis/ Snowmobiles
mississippi : anything
arkansas : anything
louisiana : everything
missouri : no salvage titles, everything else ok
north carolina : anything
ohio : salvage title only
iowa : anything

i have gotten burned so many times with their supposedly "running" vehicles, that now i only buy wrecked ones and pull the motors/trans and other parts i need to fix another vehicle...... buyer beware

i would say my score is approx 25 purchased over the past 10 years and i have been burned on at least 10 of those that looked pretty in pics, but had so much hidden damage that they were either not able to be put on the road safely or without spending thousands more to get them drivable

1 - 10 of 10 Posts