New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the difference between these two transmissions and if they are interchangeable.

A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F83P-DA
A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F83P-DB

Both are CD4E tansmissions made for the Cougar,Mystique,Contour. The only difference I can find is that the one I need (DA) is no where to be found and the other one is everywhere. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Does anybody know the difference between these two transmissions and if they are interchangeable.

A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F83P-DA
A.T., 4 cyl (2.0L), ID F83P-DB

Both are CD4E tansmissions made for the Cougar,Mystique,Contour. The only difference I can find is that the one I need (DA) is no where to be found and the other one is everywhere. :banghead:
The DB one is probably the updated version of the DA one, which is why the DA one might not be able to be found anywhere ???

If it is for a 1999 Cougar, then the change might be from a Mechanical Vehicle speed sensor to an Electronic Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)...

But I can't be positive on that....

What exactly are you trying to do, and what year is your Cougar???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Cougar is a 98 1/2, 2.0, Auto. My transmission is burned out and the shop wants $1700.00 to rebuild it. Well, I went on a hunt for a used transmission after I found out which one I needed and cannot find the one ending in DA anywhere. I thought that since they didn't change the V-tec motor with the trans in 99 they should both work but I need to be sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know they only made like 500 of the Atx 2.0's in 99 which sucks. But they stopped making the DA transmission in mid 98 and finshed making the 2.0with the DB until they changed again in 2000. I believe that they changed the VSS in 2000 from what I have read. So in theory they should both work because Ford didn't change the engine just the trans, I just don't want to spend $600.00 for a used one to be wrong.

·
5,318 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that but didn't want to go through the trouble of joining a group I would only use one time to ask a question. I ending up giving the ok to rebuild the original trans this morning so the answer to this question isn't really that urgent anymore. It would still be useful information to know if any of the other 499 4cyl auto cougar owners blow a trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts