New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on smoothing my car. I want to delete the taillight bulges. How would a person go about shaping them to be an exact replacement? Also would people laught if I made led tails from school bus lights, for most look like they came off humvees?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
A friend of mine makes custom taillights by taking the red lense off, and replacing it with plexiglass. Its easy to form with heat, but the problem you are going to run into is when you remove the red lense from the outside of the cougar taillights. The bottom part of the circles are glues also. So the outsides of the lense is glued/melted all the way around, then the circles are glued/melted to the backing piece. I would not recommend doing it. I cracked one of my stock taillights open, hence the information.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much does your friend charge?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think he charges close to 300. He has been working on my taillight for a long time now, and still hasnt got it to look good. Its very hard the way the Cougar taillights are make. He has done Contour SVT tails, Avenger tails, accord, civic, neon, and alot of others also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw those but they are poofy looking. Okay my idea sofar is a summation of what I got from a homebuilt airplane page. Take thin sheetmetal nail it to a wood buck and stretch cheese cloth over it. Then put it in the oven. Take it out and burn your self forming the plexi to it. I am looking for a better way that doesn't involve charred flesh.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i just made clear corner lens to replace the ugly ass oraange ones in my headlights..i used a $7 sheet of acrylic that i got at the home depot..it was prismatic (little diamond shapes) i just tossed it in the oven at 300degrees for about 4 or 5 minutes...then using heavyduty leather oven (foundry) mits i pulled it out and placed it over the original lens and it just sagged into the right shape..throw some cold water on it and cut away..i am sure you will be using a heavy gauge of acrylic sheet then i did but it should melt nicely...you hace to watch it doesnt bubble or melt to the cookie sheet..i had to cut the piece a fair bit larger then the lens though cause the acrylic shrinks like hell when heated..hope that helps...looks like the only option for acrylic..unless you can make a mould and get a hold of some liquid acrylic..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts