New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a remote starter or know how much they cost with installtion. any info would help thanks

G

·
ok , lets see if this helps;

I bought a 2way rs with window options and extra siren for under my dash , this alarm does everything , i purchased it through a electronics wholesaler in my area for i believe 250 or so , it is a hornet i can not recall the model number , anywayz hornet is a Dei product the same company that makes clifford and viper, as far as getting installed, i suggest the following, go to best buy and see if you can get one of the kids alone and see if they will put in in "on the side" they don`t make **** for money , they do it all day , i had one tell me he would do it all for $160 window options and all, i have had prices between 200 and 250 elsewhere, these alarms are complicated and take time, i still haven`t had mine put on yet do to money issues and starting a new business, but hopefully this answers your question, or if you shop around and can`t find a good deal and do your research and you like this system let me know and i could get you one perhaps, also i can`t recall the name brand but i say it on ebay , they have one that you can monitor online , you can shut your car down via internet and track it using gps, i t this it is put out by alpine, mine has two way and can turn on and cool the car at what preset temp you want and turn off keep the car warm or hot, plus you can turn your car on from up to one mile away!

Josh

G

·
Best Buy actually has a few remote start systems. They have them from Clifford, Avital, and Black Widow (I do NOT recommend Black Widow; they're cheaper for a reason). The price you pay for the alarm and install depends on what other options you want. Most places (including Best Buy) sell their alarm systems with install included in the price. If you want to get the alarm, keyless entry, and remote start package, you'll normally be looking at around $450 or so installed. Only problem is, our cars have that damn PATS system which has to be bypassed, and there's a couple other things that need to be worked around. So you'll want to plan on spending at least an extra $50 (but probably closer to $100) even if install is included in the price of the alarm, since that doesn't cover any custom work that has to be done. You can definitely try to get someone to do it for you on the side, but there are a few drawbacks.
1)The install isn't guaranteed. If something goes wrong down the line, you're out of luck because you don't have a warranty on the install.
2)Most alarm companies say that the warranty on the alarm itself will be voided if it's not installed by a certified shop. So if you have someone do it on the side (even if they work at a certified shop), you may lose your warranty on the alarm itself.
3)You can run into liability issues. If you have your car worked on at a shop and something goes wrong, the shop will take responsibility and get the problem fixed. But if you have someone do it on the side, they may not do anything to get your car fixed.
4)From my what I've seen, the experienced installers don't do jobs on the side. They know about all the risks I've listed above, and if they're good, they normally get paid a decent amount. At least enough to not bother risking their jobs for an extra hundred or so bucks. It's the newer guys and the installers who don't have as much experience that take the side jobs. They're the ones that don't get paid much, so they'll normally jump on a chance to get some extra cash. So if you do find someone that'll do it on the side for you, it's likely that they don't really know what they're doing, and they might really screw up your car. Trust me, you can do a LOT of damage to a car's electrical system when you're installing an alarm if you don't know what you're doing.
Honestly, it'd be worth it to pay the extra few bucks to get it installed professionally at an actual shop. The risks you run just aren't worth the $50-100 you save by having it done by a friend or by and installer working on the side. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i already have an alarm all i want is the remote starter. Can you just buy this without the alarm and all that other stuff

·
Registered
517 Posts
CATMAN said it best, most experienced installers wont do things "on the side". most of us are so busy anyway that that "side" job may have actually lost us money because we could have been doing a regular paying job. that said BB does have good starters. the DEI line is a great line and get the one that fits your budget. dont worry about which line you get its very much the same. if you want to check out another great line look into COMPUSTAR. the range is way better. i mean WAY BETTER.
josh

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dealership put mine in when I bought the Coug a couple months ago... It's a Carbine remote start and security package = $450 installed.... A little high I'm sure, but it's financed in. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea ll i wan tis the remote starter i have seen them for like 65 buck on online stores
all thsi talk of like 400-350450ish
i dont think were talkign about the same thing
i dont want the lcd remote thig or alarm

i just need the install costs

·
Registered
29 Posts
i got one i own the directed electronics viper 550 esp alarm with remote start don't know install charges but circuit city includes installation put it in my self though you will need a dei 555f bypass to bypass the pats system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts