New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two front airbags that are blown? Anyone know how to replace them? I have two new ones that have been sitting on my floor for a couple months, but am too lazy to do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
That sounds like a definite Dealership issue. I don't think I myself would screw with something that could blow back up in my face if it is incorrectly installed.

G

·
I would not touch them. Definately dealorship issue.

I imagine that if you worked on them, and then had an unfortunate meeting with another vehicle, you would be screwed insurance wise if it was know that you worked on your own airbags.

G

·
Once the airbags have deployed you will have a hard time finding anyone to replace them. No one wants the liability of them not working if you are involved in another accident. Also, it is tricky to install, and if done incorrectly they can inflate during the install, which is not only unsafe but expensive. You might find someone willing to do it, but you might have to sign a waiver stating they are not liable if they don't deploy.:shrug:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tell you what ...
I need a drivers side airbag ...since you dont want to (unhook battery, plug in air bag , horn ..clip in place reinstall batery..done )
then I 'll take the drivers wheel airbag off your hands... :)
deal ??/
Thanks,
Mitch
(12 yrs fps certified mechanic..)
email= [email protected]

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I know the drivers side is easy. I'm worried about the passenger side. It looks a little harder. I also don't know what the clock spring is, where it is, or what it looks like. I was also told I may need a new cabin sensor. There was no damage to my car. The airbags were blown due to jumping a hill. By the way was fun as hell, but I will never do it again because of the damage it caused. I got higher than ten feet on the jump though. I was in the air for a while. So I think the front sensor is fine, but was told I may need to replace the inside sensor. When I bought my new, slightly used, aribags it came with a module. I don't know what this thing is or where it is at. I'm hoping it might be the cabin sensor, but don't know.

Airbags aren't that hard to install and you can have Ford run a check to see if everything is working properly without blowing the airbags. Of course this does not mean that the airbags are guaranteed to deploy, but I'm willing to take that chance to save me a grand. I don't plan on getting in an accident anyway and I always wear my seatbelt and make everone else in my car wear theirs too.

Can anyone give me some pointers on doing this??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts