New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was at a party and played tunes for 7+ hours. I then fired up the car and moved it across the yard where I played more music for 3 more hours. When I went to leave the car didn't do anything in the start position. I tested the battery and its fine. Since then I have had a Ford tech try to fix it in the yard as a favor. We ruled out relays fuses and switches. We cleared the PCM and reprogramed it. It is now narrowed down to the Anti-theft system isn't recognizing my keys there for shut down cranking, fuel and spark. Basically the car thinks I'm trying to steal it. I noticed that the anti-theft light that normally flashes stays lit constant with the key in the run position. Just curious if this has happed to anyone else or if anyone has any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Why would you reprogram your PCM? Seems a little overkill for a car that wouldn't start (at least as one of the first things to do) -- Fett is right, you probably need to have your PATS system reprogrammed now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I Think he tried both. He had a palm pilot hooked up to a box that he said contained all of ford diagnostic data. I saw him run tests through the OBD that scanned the system. I'm not sure if he reprogrammed the PCM, I know he tried to run tests ( or reprogram ) the PATS and it kept coming up as missing protocall ( programming ? ) He explained that the car was looking for another key. I got a blank from Ford and tried that, It didn't work. I didn't think it would because I was told that you need two good keys before the car will program a third. In this case if one of my keys was bad then I only had one. The reason I mentioned that he cleared the PCM was that he stated he didn't think the PCM was PCMing. lol, laymen terms for my benifit. This guy has been a tech for 11 years and had my car in the bay under warrenty to isolate a problem I had with doorlocks not working back when the car was still under warrenty. I think he knows what he is doing but then again the car did have to be flat bedded to the dealership where he works. He thinks maybe the big scope can un jam it. My wife loves that car but I can tell you for spending 25K on a car brand new it has not been good to me over the years. I have had to replace the fuel pressue regulator, The sunroof broke, The doorlock wiring screwed up big time. I just had to replace a door lock actuator, the heater resistor went and now this. Can you say 100,000 ten year warrenty? Thats what I'll be saying next time I shop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the word back from Ford. It's the PCM. Bad news is it can't be reflashed. theres a Ford bulliten that says replace only. Good news is my buddy in the parts dept over at Ford is putting it in for warrenty. Emissions is covered for 8/80. So hes filing the paperwork. Keeping my fingers crossed, cars not running yet.New PCM will be in Thursday.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
my friend had a jeep cherokee that would not start or anything cause of the security system. we got stuck in a parking lot in atlanta when it was like 110 degrees for like an hour.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: Ctcowboy
Just got the word back from Ford. It's the PCM. Bad news is it can't be reflashed. theres a Ford bulliten that says replace only. Good news is my buddy in the parts dept over at Ford is putting it in for warrenty. Emissions is covered for 8/80. So hes filing the paperwork. Keeping my fingers crossed, cars not running yet.New PCM will be in Thursday.
What TSB says that the PCM needs to be replaced? The only TSBs about the Cougar PCM is for reprogramming and NOT replacing. They are programable PCMs, and there are TSBs attached to the cats and HEGO sensors that say to program the PCM and NOT replace parts. Just curious.

The PCM will be covered under it's own warranty, so you are safe either way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check it out tomorrow. What he told me was that it comes up with an error code that doesn't exist. When he looked up that code it said do not reflash replace only. I work ( partners to own ) at a Napa auto parts store with a Ford dealership right next door. I tried to get the PCM through Cardone Ind. They told me that this PCM is Cali emissions, early 1999 ( my wife and I ordered out of a brochere 3
months before there were any cougars being on a lot ) and they could reflash but not sell new. Tomorrow I plan to call them back and let them know what Ford told me. I will try to get more info. I have been posting at work, way busy and just been skipping alot of details. You guys and gals are great, actually keeping my hopes up for this paid for cat lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.