New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I turn the key and when it's supposed to start, it makes that loud obnoxious noise that you hear when you turn your key all the way when the car is already on. To get it to start, i just turn it off and on again and keep trying until it starts. This is probably really bad for the car, that's why I wanna get it fixed. And this only happens like one out of ten times I try to start the car. Any ideas?



Note: Please don't mind the horrible writing. I just had my wisdom teeth taken out a couple hours ago and I'm all drugged up on Vicodin so I'm really out of it.. :goofy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,347 Posts
Originally posted by: Crisis13
So I turn the key and when it's supposed to start, it makes that loud obnoxious noise that you hear when you turn your key all the way when the car is already on. To get it to start, i just turn it off and on again and keep trying until it starts. This is probably really bad for the car, that's why I wanna get it fixed. And this only happens like one out of ten times I try to start the car. Any ideas?



Note: Please don't mind the horrible writing. I just had my wisdom teeth taken out a couple hours ago and I'm all drugged up on Vicodin so I'm really out of it.. :goofy:
Funny, your post is one of the clearest I've ever read. I'm guessing you need to replace the starter, but it may be something simpler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my friends was a mechanic for Ford and he said it may be a bent flywheel. Does that make sense? Could I maybe just replace that? Anyone? This problem is really embarassing when I'm starting in front of people and it just buzzes really really loud. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I believe replacing the starter is easier ( and cheaper ) that replacing the flywheel. I had a problem like this on a different car & it turns out the starter recoil spring went bad - just needed to get a new (rebuilt) starter. I guess it could be a bad couple of teeth on the flywheel - hence why you are only getting the problem "one out of ten times" . Good luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
Just go to Schucks or autozone and buy one of theirs. I purchased one two years ago when the starter went out on my Ranger and I think it worked better than the stock starter. Imagine that. Ive never dealt with one on my Cougar, but on the Ranger it was easily accessable and a quick job. Hopefully you'll be able to say the same for the Cougar. Good luck!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,664 Posts
Originally posted by: Crisis13
One of my friends was a mechanic for Ford and he said it may be a bent flywheel. Does that make sense? Could I maybe just replace that? Anyone? This problem is really embarassing when I'm starting in front of people and it just buzzes really really loud. :(
I would love to see what would bend a flywheel it is made of sloid steel up to an inch thick in some parts. Most likely it is the gear on the starter or a worn ring gear on your flywheel.

Unless it is an ATX the it would be called a flex plate which it made to bend a flex within reason but still wont flex too much when bolted up the the torque converter.

You said your friend WAS a mechanic at Ford, well I can see why now!:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm new to cars and I wouldn't be installing it myself. And by the way, thanks for the wise-ass remarks. They really helped me solve the problem easier and I have a lot more respect for you now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
Look here

that's prolly what your flexplate looks like by now... as mine was doing it occasionnally... (i cant spell) that being said, if you replace the starter and the flex plate looks like that, it's only a matter of time before you wear the teeth on the new starter, replace both...

I have a flex plate for sale... only like 10k on it, not a single tooth messed up... $35 shipped... PM me if you're interested
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
I'm going through the same thing...or at least, I did. Had the same problem you describe, but I haven't been able to reproduce it in over two weeks. I'm still planning to replace the starter, but I haven't had the time (not even to drop it off somewhere and have it done, if it comes to that). The really crummy thing is I'm taking a bit of a road trip this coming Monday, and I can almost guarantee that the starter issue will return when I'm somewhere in Indiana. :(
 

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
Joined
·
27,685 Posts
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Crisis13 said:
And by the way, thanks for the wise-ass remarks. They really helped me solve the problem easier and I have a lot more respect for you now.
OHHHHH, NO YOU DID NOT!! :rofl: :rofl:

PWN3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111one111eleven!

I like the new guy. :cool:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top