New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started painting the interior of my car and the center consol came out beautiful, but when i started on the vents, cowl, HVAC, and headlight panel the paint seemed to separate, I then wiped everything off of the forementioned parts with paint thinner primered them and the same problem occured please help.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
PM Crispy. She's the paint goddess. If she doesn't know, nobody will!

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
did you sand the parts first? it helps A TON so i've heard

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
When I did mine, I wanted to keep the texture of the pieces, and not have them completely smooth. I initially went over the whole piece really well with a scouring pad to help the paint stick. Then, I primered it with grey sandable primer. 1500 grit sandpaper on the primer, then painted it. 1800 grit on paint, then clearcoated it. I haven't had any problems with the paint as of yet. It turned out great, and I like how it still has the original texture of the piece.

Edit: DgnZcoug: Do you have the same headunit as me? I thought it looked familiar!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i wetsanded everything!!!!!! all of the dash panel came out looking great, still have some problems with the cowl, but i'll wetsand it again and see what happens, i am going to buy another set of vents, i was really unhappy with those so if anyone has any for sale pm please. thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
usually the oils from your hands or from dash cleaners seep into the dash pieces and stay there, so if you don't sand it down really really good, it will mess up the paint.

Mike

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I know that know, but thanks for the info guys, I'll post pics when she's out from under the knife

1 - 9 of 9 Posts