1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
GL

·
Registered
364 Posts
let me know how it turns out cuz i think that would look pretty tight.....it'd prolly be easier w/ the 01-up housing seeing as how the newer housings have a bit more room than the 99-00 housings.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I just did this mod on one headlight today. Only one because this was my first time taking the headlights apart, and it took me a while to figure out how to wire it, and have it look it's best.

The white LED's I bought from Radio Shack were Expensive!! $5.00 each! according to the link, you need two per headlight. The sales rep said it's so expensive because white is the hardest LED to power up, and it's not used as much as Red and Green.

I used a 10k ohm resistor, unlike the 220 ohm reccomended on the website. That's what the guy at Radio shack told me to use..

I found that the perfect mold to shape the ring with is a Pepsi Can. It is the perfect size to fit the rim of the headlights.

The other part that seemed tough was cuting (scratching) the ring evenly. It didn't seem evenly spaced, but from far away, it's tough to notice.

I put it on my High Beams since I don't use those that much. I took off that little cowl that is in front of the lens.

I superglued the ring to the headlights in small dots so that the superglue doesn't interfere with the light that is beaming through the ring. I put electrical tape on the LEDs (quite crappily too) so that they don't stick out.

I tapped a ground on one of the headlight wires, and hooked the positive straight up to the battery. I figure with such a low wattage coming from the LED's it won't be very much of a threat to draining my battery. (Think blinking red alarm LED on our dash, except not blinking).

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
PICS!

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries
I just did this mod on one headlight today. Only one because this was my first time taking the headlights apart, and it took me a while to figure out how to wire it, and have it look it's best.

The white LED's I bought from Radio Shack were Expensive!! $5.00 each! according to the link, you need two per headlight. The sales rep said it's so expensive because white is the hardest LED to power up, and it's not used as much as Red and Green.

I used a 10k ohm resistor, unlike the 220 ohm reccomended on the website. That's what the guy at Radio shack told me to use..

I found that the perfect mold to shape the ring with is a Pepsi Can. It is the perfect size to fit the rim of the headlights.

The other part that seemed tough was cuting (scratching) the ring evenly. It didn't seem evenly spaced, but from far away, it's tough to notice.

I put it on my High Beams since I don't use those that much. I took off that little cowl that is in front of the lens.

I superglued the ring to the headlights in small dots so that the superglue doesn't interfere with the light that is beaming through the ring. I put electrical tape on the LEDs (quite crappily too) so that they don't stick out.

I tapped a ground on one of the headlight wires, and hooked the positive straight up to the battery. I figure with such a low wattage coming from the LED's it won't be very much of a threat to draining my battery. (Think blinking red alarm LED on our dash, except not blinking).
very sweet... thanks for the info... pictures - yes!

G

·
Where did u get the clear plastic to make the ring at? I've tried every store and i cant find a single thing! Actually the place I think its probly at is closed today but any suggestions of what u used would be very helpful being i have today off and want to try them today.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I used a 10k ohm resistor, unlike the 220 ohm reccomended on the website.
Not to bright are they? I tried alot of resistors before choosing the 220 and all I know is that 10k seems like alot. Also to give others a heads up. I just took the ground to the stock wiring harness plug and the power to the daytime running lights since mine dont work anyway. You can secure the ring by melting 2 pins on the back of the ring and bending them around. That way no one can see them and you dont have to use glue that will melt or burn off. If you want 5mm Hyper White LED's try ebay. I bought a 20 pack for $10 shipped. Anyone else that needs help PM me and ill give you some tips. Also Crispy if you are making a how-to I might beable to help on some pointers seeing that the how-to on the net is basic.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
O and to add one more comment. Make the cuts in the plastic BEFORE you make the bends. That way they are even.
won't the cuts be affected by the heat when you heat up the rod to bend it though?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Thanks CATerina, What do you mean by melting pins in the back of the ring? Like Solder it on? And it would go into the holes that the little cowl used, right?

When putting the rods into the oven, they aren't melting, just become flexible.. that's if you don't keep them in there for like 10 minutes. It becomes flexible like a Twizzler... a really hot twizzler. I used a cold can of pop so that it cooled down fast and formed to the can quickly.

The clear plastic is the little rod that are on mini blinds that you turn to open and close them. You can usually go to a home omprovement store and ask for a mini-blind tilt rod.

I'm thinking of doing the one headlight it over again cuz I'm not too happy with the brightness, and the size of the gap used to fit the led's in. The gap is like an inch big.

I kept it on all night and all morning (11 hours) and my car started fine. I don't think it drained the battery that bad.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Oh, I probably won't post pics too soon cuz I don't have a digital camera.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Originally posted by: CATerina
I used a 10k ohm resistor, unlike the 220 ohm reccomended on the website.
Crispy if you are making a how-to I might beable to help on some pointers seeing that the how-to on the net is basic.
Thanks Cat... I'll get in touch with ya and we can make the TeamNECO how-to together.. :)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
No if you look at mine the cuts are not affected but i will tell you that using an oven is kind of dumb when you can use a heat gun. Heat the pins with a lighter then melt them into the back.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
It goes around the thickest part of the can.

G

·
man i just put my lights back together yesterday (painted them chrome)

just a thought........
i noticed the further from the light the dimmer the cuts shine
if you made the cut shallower starting at the light and deeper away from the light
do you think it would make it look more even all the way around

1 - 20 of 70 Posts