New Cougar Forum banner

Angel Eye Installation

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  JAMallott 
#1 ·
Angel Eye Installation--need answer quick!

I'm not really sure to put this. It's not a problem but it the moderators feel it should be there, or anywhere else, then feel free to move it.

Anyways, i'm about to install the angel eyes that i just finished. My headlights are all tore apart and i'm ready to glue them in and all. But there's something that raises a bit of a concern to me. In the how to on cougardb it states to remove the small metal cowls that reside in front of each light to install them. But when i went to a mod meet a couple weeks ago. One guys car was built so early that they didn't have these cowls in the headlights. And we noticed that the plastic where the cowls would normally be was bubbled and distorted looking. Kind like they were boiling. We all more or less came to the conclusion that the metal cowls were put into cars on a later build date to correct this and keep that from happening due to too much heat coming from the headlights. We're not quite sure of this though as he also had aftermarket bulbs that might of caused it as well. Now, my concern is will removing these cowls cause this to happen in my car or should i not worry about it?

Specifically to the people that has Angel eyes installed: Did you take out the cowls and if so, has there been any problems to that area of the headlights?

I need an answer to this quick. I won't be finishing till tommorrow but i'd like to have an answer by the morning.

Edit: Don't need an answer anymore.

See less See more
#2 ·
RE:Angel Eye Installation--need answer quick!

you remove them so you can dremel the middle hole a little wider so you can fit angel eye wires through, then slip cowl back on.

#3 ·

How to mentions nothing of reinstalling the cowl. The way they explain it sound like your supposed to keep them out.

Edit: If i try to put the eye on top of the cowl on the headlight it doesn't sit flush with it as they are different radius'. And yes, i bent it around a pop can...or rather a bending jig i made that is the same diameter as a pop can. With the cowl out it sits perfect inside the headlight.

#5 ·

i know its not in the how to but i imed phantom zero (who made the faq) a bunch along the way and its supposed to be done. dremel a little below the holes to so the cowl can set a little lower.

#6 ·
RE: Angel Eye Installation--need answer quick!

I cut the middle tab of the cowl (black metal cups) out & also cut the headlight insert for that middle tab open. So instead of being an insert it's now a divit.

My rings sit on top of the cowl and the LED wire bends back through where the middle tab would've gone. Remember to put a little electrical tape around them & where they touch the cowl so you don't blow any fuses. Once the headlight is assembled it's hard to notice that the ring sits slightly higher than the headlight opening. But the Coke can measurement was only ment as a template and not an exact fit. It just happened to be the closest we could come to making the process easier.

I put 3 small drops of JB Weld around the ring & secured it to the headlight housing. JB Weld can stand up to 300* which is far beyond what the headlights can handle.

#7 ·

i did exactly what jscullin did for the cowl and wires i just couldnt remember exactly
and dont use wire crimps! solder it into wires. I had crimps at first but one was always flickering or completely going dead i got that fixed immediately

#9 ·

Thanks for the help everyone. Since i couldn't access this thread yesterday i ended up just leaving those cowls in anyways. I didn't really want to risk having the plastic peice start to distort. I have them all in now and working. They look great too. I'll post pics in the vids/pics section a little later.

#12 ·
Originally posted by: phant0mzero
i have left mine out and have had no problems, this is just me, i suggest putting the piece back in just in case.
if anyone wondered what brian (pyro81) was talking about with the melting, here are my headlights. i was the one at the meet that has the very eairly headlights without the cowls, and we have learned that the headlights have had the stock bulbs in them. we had thought that they were replaced by the previous owner, but they wernt. so if you do take the cowls out, this is what could happen after a while:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.