New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just wanted to drop in and let you in on my newest modification on my Coog. I replaced the head unit(stereo) with a Google Nexus android tablet. It actually involved quite a bit of trimming and sanding on the fascia that surrounds the factory head unit, and some tricky modification to make clips to hold the tablet in place. Once I got it done however, it actually didn't require any modification to the interior that the fascia mounts to.

The physical modification is tricky to explain, but easy to do. I will post pictures tomorrow to show it.

For the time being, I am going for a simple install as far as wiring goes. I started with a set of wire harness adapters, like you would use for an aftermarket stereo. Then I got an amp that supports mp3 player input like this one. That amp will fit behind the tablet, in the space the stereo used to fill. Wire the amp for power like any other amp, then connect the speaker wires from the harness adapter to the amp output.

Then get a cigarette lighter USB adapter, crack it open, and remove the chip inside. Solder wires to the ground and positive output. Connect the positive to the red wire and ground to the black wire of the wire harness adapter. The USB port on the chip will charge the tablet when the car is on. Afterward the chip should be wrapped to prevent shorts.

Then just connect the charger cord from the usb port to the tablet, and the 3.5mm audio jack from the headphone port on the tablet to the amp.

I will post pics tomorrow once I have the amp wired in.

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a few pics... I still haven't wired up the charger for the tablet, so pics of how it is braced in will come soon.
Electronics Wire Cable Technology Electronic device
With such a small amp, wiring both harness adapters is perfectly fine. A bigger amp WOULD need a direct link to the battery with heavy guage wire like normal.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Mid-size car
Here it is in my car, looking all beautiful and stuff.

I did read that review on the amp I used. I chose it do to the size constraints, because I didn't want any long runs of wire. That having been said, if you aren't concerned with a bumping sound system, this little amp is REALLY impressive. I just wanted an amp that does a good job of getting music from the tablet to the speakers, and it does great, and will even get pretty loud if you run the volume up.

More pics to come later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are a few pics... I still haven't wired up the charger for the tablet, so pics of how it is braced in will come soon.
View attachment 48097
With such a small amp, wiring both harness adapters is perfectly fine. A bigger amp WOULD need a direct link to the battery with heavy guage wire like normal.

View attachment 48105
Here it is in my car, looking all beautiful and stuff.

I did read that review on the amp I used. I chose it do to the size constraints, because I didn't want any long runs of wire. That having been said, if you aren't concerned with a bumping sound system, this little amp is REALLY impressive. I just wanted an amp that does a good job of getting music from the tablet to the speakers, and it does great, and will even get pretty loud if you run the volume up.

More pics to come later.
Can I ask why you went with a tablet vice a android head unit. I am thinking of replacing my head unit and never thought of using a tablet. I tried to watch the video but it said it was unavailable. What tablet did you use. Pics look good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can I ask why you went with a tablet vice a android head unit. I am thinking of replacing my head unit and never thought of using a tablet. I tried to watch the video but it said it was unavailable. What tablet did you use. Pics look good. i think I screwed up your post - old guy learning stuff lol. Sorry if I did

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,778 Posts
My guess - Android head units weren't really readily available in 2013, when this project started...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. Did not check the date. Noob. Any recommendations for a double din head unit (Android) and has anyone had any fitment issues with theirs. Just starting my project doing the research.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts