New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
some of you probably remember my full 3L build thread from 2 1/2 years ago. well i also build my entire drivetrain last winter but couldnt make a thread for it.

for a quick reveiw for those that dont know:
my "tranny build" included new: hubs, wheel bearings, axles, autolite app104 plugs, motorcraft original plug wires, new battery, torsen, axle seals, tranny bearings, spec 9lb flywheel, clutchnet stage 3 kevlar disc, clutchnet stage 3 pressure plate

BUT NOW!.. its time for my suspension build!

Heres the plan for this winter..(im also going to do a full brake upgrade while in in there as well):
-koni struts
-Ground control coil sleeves. 600 front 400 rear.
-PRT camber conversion kit
-PRT solid front subframe bushings
-Techno Toy Tuning S13 camber plates
-moog rear strut bushings
-EBC "Gold" series rotors all around
-Hawk HPS front and rear pads
-reman front calipers
-TZT front sway bar endlinks
-inner tie rod ends (outers are already new)

i will be doing the build in phases since i cant get all my parts at once and i do run into problems
Phase 1:

quick view of some of the parts​

gettin them squared away​

buddy from school charged a pizza for welding the plates on;)!​

sexy EBC rotors​

solid subframe bushings​

so that is one weekend of work. im waiting on my rear struts to come in so updates will come soon.

feel free to ask questions, give advice, or whatever.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i agree rims are next. haha. its just im not going to buy some **** brand and awkward offset. im looking to get team dynamics 17x8 with offset 32ish. i havent done any measurements so that is a rough size for now. i want to fit the widest tire i can without looking goofy cuz i will be daily driving the car for a while. or i might get some deep dish for a staggered look but i doubt is as it wont be very race freiendly

and as for cutting them out i just used a 2.5 inch die grinder, and then some of those bit to grind away metal to make the holes round and even(cant think of the name but we use them to port our heads for a 3L swap.)

it would have probably taken me less time, but its MY car and i take my sweet time on it

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Im a beyond full time college student and i barly work. I do what i can to get stuff done to my car

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow this is my dream suspension setup. Where were you able to get Koni Yellows and GC Coilovers? I too am looking to stance my Cougar and have been looking to buy wheel for months, I just can't find any wheels that I really love. Check out this link for a perfect suspension/wheel setup. Good luck finding wheels in our lug pattern too.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The team dynamics rims i plan to buy build the rim to any specs you want.. lig pattern, offset. Its all up to you

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That's a pretty slick setup you got going there. I can't wait to get some Koni's under my car...

·
So its begun.....
16,832 Posts
So these camber plates will work well? No snappy of the struts?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nope it actually feels pretty good. even tho my rear is stock right now. the car only feels slighly stiffer, until i turn the steering wheel hard. im actually surprized its not as stiff as i thought it would be. but i cant confirm anything until i get my rears installed

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
in theory yes. i dont think anyone has had these on the street yet

if this is legal for my class i will be doing it, need to check on that
A couple contours have been running it for some time. Only time will tell if they dont snap.

I'd really like to do it as well. Cutting those tops makes me mega nervous though. It's too bad a bolt in solution cant exist.

·
Registered
755 Posts
A couple contours have been running it for some time. Only time will tell if they dont snap.

I'd really like to do it as well. Cutting those tops makes me mega nervous though. It's too bad a bolt in solution cant exist.
I want these in my CSVT. I'm so tired of replacing front strut mounts.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
For a front strut tower brace the results are marginal anyway. It looks cool, but the massive girder under the dash keeps the front end nice and tight as-is.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea so im not worried about that. I am eventually gonna weld in strut braces where the rear seats are, so im not wasting money on a rear brace right now

1 - 20 of 68 Posts