New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine that was supposed to be finished several weeks ago, was just given back to me on Friday... effectively preventing me from getting it in the car anytime in the next few months :disgust: Not only that, but of course there are several things that weren't done correctly on it...

First of all, even after I told them every time I talked to them, they still didn't remove the bushing from the end of the crank... which I asked them to do before they balanced everything ... and when I pointed this out to them, they took an air chisel to it while it was sitting in the back of my jeep and popped it out. Now I know this isn't a major part of the rotating assembly, but knowing they spent 13 hours balancing everything, I'm worried that this is going to throw it off. Thoughts?

Secondly, they never filled the oil feed hole and just did the return lines... so I'm going to have to JB weld it along with the set screw I already tapped it for. Just another annoyance added to the list...

Thirdly, when I dropped off all the main bolts, rods, etc for final assembly, I brought the instructions for where to put the studs for the upgraded windage tray... and they told me they didn't need them because they had gotten them from Ford already :rolleyes: So I come back to pick it up, and they had gone out and bought a Chilton's manual for 95-2000 Contours and Mystiques :disgust: and not the Escape like I had told them several times... so now the windage tray doesn't fit, and I will have to buy some more of these lovely one-time-use-TTY-$3-a-pop-bolts...

So is the best method for replacing these to just pull them out and replace them with the correct ones one at a time?

And on top of everything else, they tried to charge me almost twice what my original quote was for without ever telling me it was going up. And I'm not about to pay $1500 for something they didn't even DO correctly :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
That sucks, but the block sure looks nice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would remove the incorrect studs and replace them with the correct studs one-at-a-time ... this way, the torque is removed and reapplied without releasing the torque from the surrounding bolts, thus keeping things in balance.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
You are not actually going to PAY them are you? I would send them a letter from a laywer instead.

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sending a letter via registered mail with signature confirmation tomorrow detailling the errors and suggesting a possible resolution, and requesting a similar letter in response.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
be sure to include a mouse head in the package to let them know you are serious...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dev, what are your chances of getting it done before school??? Ill be willing to travel to socal for a weekend and give you a hand.

Lupe

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zero to none...I'm back at school/ work as of today with no cougaH :disgust:

edit: For those of you who don't know, the car is in a borrowed garage in Southern California, whereas I live, work, and go to school in Northern California... leaving me with only the summer and winter breaks to work on it. Knowing this, I had given the shop the deadline of the end of the first week of August to have everything finished so I would have time to get it all in the car, and I didn't actually get it back until the 19th but had to be back up here to start work/ class today... which needless to say, didn't give me enough time to test, install, and break in a brand new motor...

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
I'm not really happy with the fact that they took an air chisel to a bushing on a balanced crank. I would really have preferred they did it the old-fashioned way- hacksaw and carbon-steel metal cutting blade. Only took about 5 minutes to do it this way on ROZWELL911CSVT's motor, and it's far less impactful on the crank.

The good part is that you're removing a circular mass that has even weight around the entirety of the crankshaft, so I don't think this is going to cause any kind of harmonic issues.

Lastly, you should beat them over the head with the Chilton's they bought (This is a REAL SHOP right? Why the hell did they buy Chiltons?) and tell them to stuff their $1500 bill up their incompetent asses. Tell them instead that you'll be sending them a check for $950, which is $1500 - the stuff they didn't do/do right. If they won't take that, tell them you'll instead send them a ***** with about $50 worth of rifle ammo and his rifle. ;)

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking that since they did a half assed job on everything other than the Pistons and Knife Edged Crank (which they got from other people), I would pay them according to how they did it... half way.

Short of that, I'll let em know you're coming Mike :biggrin:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't forget the pissed of mexican with a 12 gague and a Remington 700 30.06!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
wish i was back in cali i would be willing to help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.