New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
ARE YOU GUYS NUTS?!!?

i've see the way you all drive down there... you guys are crazy, theres no way i would let you on an 'unlimited' speed highway.

over in Germany, their driving education is FAR superior and a million times more strict than it is over here. when they finally get their licence, they KNOW how to drive extremely well and even still accidents happen.

I've actually had the chance to be on the autobahn (my family and i took a trip way back when i was in Grade 5 in school) - and even at that young age, i fully understood that the quality of driving over there FAR exceeds anything over here in north america... of which i think the quality of drivers over here has actually gone DOWN alot.
Also, the cars over there that GET on the autobahn, can definitely handle it... you will never see a rusted up Honda Accord full of teenagers trying to get to 120mph on that road - which you KNOW is what would happen over here.

I dont even trust some drivers on the roads NOW... how many times do you hear of people racing on residential streets where the speedlimit is 30mph! hahaha, yeah, sure! lets give them a designated road which they could speed all they want and not get a ticket.

:rofl:

no... if America... or North America gets an autobahn, we're all doomed. :cover:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
ND4SPD did you read the petition? It makes sense, and it could work. I understand the argument you are making, but there can be regulations, and other driving tests you could need to drive on it. I think it's a good idea, and it's long over due.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
aww don't be a party pooper, Matt...you should try it, it'lll be fun! :biggrin:

but alas the money-hungry a-hole politicians won't let it happen. without their precious speeding ticket revenue, they'll send the law enforcement agencies down the crapper :mad:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The petition's arguing factors are pointless. Let's solve drunk driving by getting an autobahn??? Protect our families by creating a no speed limit highway??? The autobahn will make the american family closer??? Ya, riiiiiight. By this reasoning, they could just put tolls and breathalizers on every highway in the united states like they have here in Illinois. Why raise the speed limit (or no limit at all)? They would achieve the same result.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
because this is something that i love debating about (debating... not fighting or arguing guys :) ) - i DID indeed read the whole article... i'm just thinking that no matter how many 'rules' you would put on it, it wouldn't be a good idea...

Not unless you had to maybe... take a special drivers TEST for it, and get a special permit / license. then it would be guaranteed that you have the training etc. - i just can't even begin to imagine letting average motorists onto this kind of highspeed / high risk road, without needed SOME kind of proof that they are capable of handling it, both mentally and physically.

Plus, the amount of money that would have to go into MAINTAINING the roads would be eeeeeeeeeenormous! the roads would never be allowed to have bumps, potholes, craters, chunks missing, garbage / debris on the road... i forget what road it was, but there was a FEW of us who took it on the way to cougarfest... i was like armageddon on asphalt. the speedlimit was 65mph, but no one could DO 65 because the road was SO bad, that our cars would break if we hit one of those potholes.

me personally, if it was guaranteed that there would be 100% no problems, i would LOVE an autobahn here... hell, it would make travelling alot easier, and even less demand for airplanes, my 15 hour drive to Indy for Cougarfest could be almost cut in half = 1 day instead of my usual 2 days... i would love that.

I guess i just don't have any confidence in the drivers these days... i'd say 75% of them don't have the discipline to drive at that speed. I mean, how many times have you been cut off by idiot soccer moms in minivans, or a massive suv that stays in the left (passing lane) and doesn't move while doing 10 under the limit... all the stuff that you HATE on the roads. now imagine those same assholes on a road where you can do 120+ *yikes*

because this is something that i love debating about (debating... not fighting or arguing guys :) ) - i DID indeed read the whole article...
of which i don't see how you will reduce alcohol deaths by allowing people to travel at an unlimited speed... sounds like more of an "exchange" to me... fewer drunk deaths, more car crash deaths. - don't forget... things happened very fast at 120mph. If you crash, you will die... and your passengers will die, and chances are, you will make ALOT of damage and probably take out a few people around you who couldn't react fast enough.
so i think "point A" is :thumbsdn:

point "B" - oh wonderful... now that the road has NO speedlimit... lets get LOTS of people... no no, even better, lets get lots of entire FAMILIES on the road! then, if theres a crash, we can wipe out a few generations! :rolleyes: - i'm sorry.. thats just what that point reminds me of...

point "C" awwwww, doesn't that tug at the ol' heartstrings... once again, using sept11th as an excuse to need / do something TOTALLY unrelated...
and "increase general pride"???! if you ask me, you Americans are the proudest mther fkers on the planet!! :biggrin: and I admire that... if you guys had any MORE pride, it would be dangerous :rofl:

all in all... the petitions point seems to be "drunk drivers kill people on the road...that makes 'us' sad --> :( ..... so lets build a road with no speedlimit, lots of checkpoints, and that will magically help the drunk driving problem, and will make us happy, proud Americans once again. yay --> :)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
Let's solve drunk driving by getting an autobahn??? Protect our families by creating a no speed limit highway??? The autobahn will make the american family closer??? Ya, riiiiiight.
exactly! i love you! hahha :biggrin:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn Matt! I didn't think about all that. I just want an autobahn! Sign it anyways.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I think that people need to quit focusing on the negatives so much. If we truly want an autobahn type of highway make it happen. The only people that speak out in this country are the negative nacies, so Im glad to at least see a petition going around. But I think that if we trul needed one they would already be in place. Most people here would use it just to go as fast as they can, but you can do that in designated places so it isnt needed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Some of his points do make sense when it comes to drunk drivers because drunk drivers do cause plenty of accidents. The problems i see are that he doesn't see how people would use this "no speed limit" in a bad way such as road rage.
Another thing he doesn't think about is nature and the elements. For instance a week ago I was going home on highway 2 and all of a sudden a deer is right in front of me and i had to swerve to miss him which had me fishtailing down the road until i stopped which was freky as hell and that was at 65mph. Could u imagine if i was going 120mph and i actually hit that deer or if i had time to swerve but ended up loosing control and wrecking into other cars and killing other people at the same time, that would really suck. Being 19 this would be cool but the lives of others, myself and my car make me think differently when it comes to an american autobahn.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Read this about the autobahn. It's very informative. The autobahn was built completely differently than are highways. You can't compare going fast on our highways compared to going fast on the autobahn. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I'll have to do some research, but from what I recall

Even though Drunk Drivers Cause accidents, the largest
cause of death on highways is Difference in speed.
Great now we have a highway that you can go 100mph
on what happens when you hit the 65mph car in front of you...

Let me ask you would you pay $1,000 for a licence to drive on a highway
like this? Or $500, or $250? Because that is an approximate Cost of classing and licensing
as it was explained to me a couple years ago from a german girl.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Yes I would pay that much to be given the privilege to drive the way I feel comfortable. I would probably save more money in the long run not getting stupid speeding tickets because I am going 10 mph over in a 65 zone.

The autobahn is made to support high speeds, and to give drivers the conditions they need to drive safely at such high speeds.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
no way. first, there should be better roads for this to happen. second, a stricter driver's licensing test. too many assclowns with licenses out now with constant duis.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Lets not fool ourselves here... You can't honestly tell me that a person's reason for starting or signing this petition is to fight drunk driving! It just makes no sense. The only reason that this point is made is because the person starting the petition couldn't think of any other reason to argue justifying such a road. Everyone just wants a road that they can go fast on. Period. Although I never see this happening - it would be cool to have if you could make it safe. However, this would be a very tough task. Although I hear that the Autobahn has had less accidents than most freeways... Personally, I think that I have a better chance of driving my car over the ocean to Germany's Autobahn than I do in creating one in the USA. One thing that could be done though is express lanes. I love these things... If you are driving near Chicago, you can go on to a designated express lane that was created to deal with the heavy traffic. It is separated from the freeway. There are no on ramps and no off ramps for a certain amount of distance. So if you are passing through, you can get in this lane and go faster than normal. Don't quote me here, but I think the speed limit is 75MPH. I know that isn't all that great to those of you down south, but here our normal speed limit is 65MPH - and sometimes even 55MPH! I don't see any problem creating these all over the place.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Originally posted by: EricF
Let me ask you would you pay $1,000 for a license to drive on a highway
like this? Or $500, or $250? Because that is an approximate Cost of classing and licensing
as it was explained to me a couple years ago from a german girl.
If I could drive on a road which was full of competent and courteous drivers, then yes, I would. As long as there is a real driving course you must pass to obtain that license, including knowledge of vehicle dynamics and car control (not just driving between the lines).

I can't count the number of times I've had to swerve or jam on my brakes because I was cut off by someone who wasn't paying attention or signaling (at least twice just yesterday). I'd gladly pay to drive on a road without those kinds of people.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Then again I am a strong supporter of Darwinism too..
Thus why I think if someone wants to smoke, drink,
shoot up, snort, etc.. etc.. theirselves into oblivion
thats fine with me as long as its in no way affecting another
human being.. same goes for speeding your way into a pole.. unfortunately
you can't have one person on a road at a time... thats the bad part.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
:rofl: i love you guys... hahha, it might seem like i've gone off on a rant on this subject, but EACH ONE OF YOU have been saying the exact same things i have been saying :)

my favourite one has gotta be what Tom said... not just because hes a good buddy of mine, but because its true...

Originally posted by: sonza68

If I could drive on a road which was full of competent and courteous drivers, then yes, I would. As long as there is a real driving course you must pass to obtain that license, including knowledge of vehicle dynamics and car control (not just driving between the lines).
amen to that, my white American brother! heh! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts