New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
APC is definately not making any taillights for the Cougar. I talked to the guys in the apc booth at carlisle and he said that there is not enough intrest and that the molds cost him 95 grand per car. i was like bullshit and walked away. they would be surprised if they put them out there and saw how many they would sell. he said that there are other companies that may make them but apc has confirmed no tails for us

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
95k for a mold?

HAHAHAHAHA

loaddddddddddd of crapppppppppp !!!!

G

·
Craig, I told Troy that while we were out there looking at your car. I told him smoked only or CF as they seem to be known as..

·
Registered
304 Posts
You could always smash out your stock tailights and insert trailer lights from Walmart tape some lexan on it..pretty much the same thing. Much cheaper than 95K, lol

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
coming from a city that has a whole section devote to the tool and die / tool and mold area, his figures aren't that off (still high though).... a mold will cost some good US (around 5K or more) money per mold depending on the size and complexity of it... now figure in you'll need 2 molds per piece (left/right) and there are far more than one piece in these lights. Each light is a different mold, the lens is a different mold, the mirror part is a different mold (you get the picture)... now these are prices for high quality reusable molds... you'll get hundreds thousands of parts before needing to scrap the mold... you can build lower quality molds for much less of a price but you get just that, a lower quality part and far fewer pieces out of the same mold.... for instance a fiberglass mold will only yield you about 20-30 parts before needing to get scrapped. there are also ways to cut prices by incorporating multiple pieces in one mold but then you end up with injection marks and gates - kinda like all the little pieces to a model car are kept together by 1 skeleton piece of plastic then you end up with all these little plastic nibbles on the pieces.

G

·
What happen about import universe saying they would have them in a month...... or was that a pipe dream.....

G

·
I agree with Craig those laced with some carbon fiber would look great with my blue paint. I also think the guy was full of it.

G

·
i am with u craig, a set of CF altezzas would look so phat on a silver coug, BTW, i see that u have a purple flake in urs now, how much would it cost me to do a blue flake in mine?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have to agree with Puck Puck on this one. Molds are not cheap and can run in the tens of thousands easily for parts such as these. My knowledge comes first hand, as I have worked in a couple injection molding plants and have been told numerous times why I didn't want to scratch the surface of the mold (repair or replacement cost). I for one know that if I am the owner of a company I am going to make sure that I'm not throwing that much money, plus the labor, materials and marketing costs down the drain for a product I don't think will sell all that well to make it worth my time. We may not like it, but it is their money we are asking them to invest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.