New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you removed an alternator from an '02? I'm trying to figure out if I want to do it myself or take it in to the shop and get taken for some $s. I'm pretty sure I have to replace it, but I want to pull it and get it checked first. I've seen directions on the board in various places for an '00, but they talk about taking out the Y pipes . . . hoping to avoid that crap.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
well, how much would you consider big $'s? cheapest i've found an alternator is around $140 at oreilly's, remanufactured and lifetime warranty. i recently had mine replaced and paid $150 parts and $90 labor, which isn't ALL that bad if you think about it. an alternator change seems like a PITA to replace so i honestly didn't feel bad (for my wallet) to pay that amount...

btw, autozone and advance will test ur alternator while it's in the car so u might wanna do that first. basically, if ur car gets stuck in the middle of the road, won't turn on, gave u a warning by flashing the battery sign on the dash days prior, and u still can't turn on the car, you've got an alternator problem and have gone way too long without replacing **sigh**

now, if you've got an I4, the alternator practically replaces itself.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i saw it, took it to my buddy at ford. he laughed at the alternater and then proceeded to take it off the car from the drivers side with 7 extensions and two wobble sockets. he did it in about 90minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.