New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have changed your alternator and know what a pain it can be.......This is one mans account.

When I bought my Cougar a little over a year ago, I was filled with the joy of owning a new car, a very stylish one at that. During my test drive of it, I drove it pretty hard, which I'm sure most of you do. I noticed a few things about it, one of the things that I noticed was that there was no marked "red line", and that when I revved it up to where a red line might be, a red light would come on. I thought, WOW, Ford Engineers put a shift point light, saving a lot of people the trouble of putting those big nasty pecker of a tach on thier dash with a shift point light. I couldn't have been more wrong. Upon further investigation, after owning the car for a few months mind you, I found out that this is a major problem with this particular car and it's alternator. Gradually the light came on at lower rpms, until finally it was on permanently. This was very sickening, due to the fact that I had looked at the alternator and saw that it was on the bottom of the engine. OH THE JOY CHANGING THIS MOTHERF*CKER IS GOING TO BE!!!! I was so excited, that I could hardly contain myself. I read through the Chilton manual on this car and saw that Ford suggested removing the transaxle and a-frame. Disheartened, I started combing Team NECO, and Fast Cougar forums for a possible work around. I was a desperate man. Some of the things I had found, I should have known better than to trust thier validity, but as a man grows desperate, things that once seemed crazy and foolish, somehow seem like they might be a good idea. Fast Forward a few days, I am driving to my fathers garage to change out the alternator, and decide to pick up a case of beer. I figure, I might as well be drinking while I do this. This....my friends....was a BAD idea. I started working on it with one of the "work arounds" that I had found. The more frustrated I became, the more I drank. The more I drank, the sloppier I became in my work, and the more frustrated I became. The Circle Of Life Simba. These cars have been dubbed "New Edge Cougars" by someone, while working on this project, I quickly realized that the new edge part referred to the new edge of the razor blade that someone used to slice thier own wrists while attempting this feat. So I decided to sleep off the alcohol and continue this the next day. The next day comes, and I am quick to get started on the Coug. After all, I am somewhat sober now, and it will all go more smoothly right? Riiiiiiight. As I proceed to try a few more work arounds, I finally decide to bite the bullet and do as Ford suggests. I think that I may have spent more time researching a work around than actually doing it. Either way, this is a majore Pain In The A$$!!!!! I did finally manage to get it changed. Most of you probably were overjoyed after the fact, that you finally got it accomplished. Not me. I was still pi$$ed off at the fact that it was such a pain. Thoughts of terrorism and violence towards Ford Motor Company crossed my mind. But not to worry. I sought solice in knowing that the team of engineers who designed this car will surely BURN IN HELL!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
heh.. u should have asked some more..
i probly could have saved u a ton of time by giving u some pointers...
trust me, i know it was a apain in the ass, but it wasnt that much of a pain...me and my buddy did it in 3 hours while drinkin a 30 pack...

and yes, i def would have put the alt on a more accessible point... like at the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer man. Next time I don't think I'll attempt it alone. Get some help. But I'm gonna cross my fingers and pray that
there is no next time. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I must say, if you take the Y pipe off I can change it an about a little less than an hour... With jackstands and air tools. I've had mine off 3 times in the past 3 weeks :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Ok... how about some TIPS then guys??

My red light of alternator death has just started to become frequent at hard/sustained runs to the redline (at the redline, even). Would love to get this done, if possible, before the snow hits the ground. From the sound of it, I'm going to have to recruit a friend for moral support. I do have access to air tools too, if that figures into the tips.

Thanks,

Massiv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts