New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone up for doing an alternator at the meet?

and are there any parts stores close to there with them....

·
Registered
787 Posts
autozone, o'reillys, napa, etc... a few stores within 12miles

·
Registered
787 Posts
umm, there is a shop in town that can rewind it probably with a higher amp rating, but i dunno on prices...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
her new system accelerated the process of a dead alternator....hope we make it down there!

G

·
mrcooley.......something you might want to look into as far as keeping alternators in good health with a system, is not,
the highly regarded CAPS, but an extra battery. The alternator won't even know there is a system in the car. My alternator, when
I first bought the car, a little over a year ago, was displaying the red electrical warning at around 5500 rpms, even before I installed
my system. Reason I ask about rebuilding them, is now it is displaying the warning at 3500ish rpms, and I have heard from numerous
sources that it is better to rebuild the alternators, rather than replace them and possibly face the same situation. Anyone else have
thoughts on this issue? To be quiet honest, I'm not looking forward to replacing it PERIOD, much less if I run into the same problem later.

:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so if i got another battery...that would potentially solve the problem?

red top or something like that?

since i already have 4 gauge power running to the back...would it be pretty simple to just put another battery in the back in a battery box?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can get a 130 amp for $157...should i go for that...and just get help from you guys to do it on saturday?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found one for 125 bucks...130 amp...that will have to do. i've never done one before...so i hope you guys can help.......

i'll be bringing some electrical tools, as well as full socket set, and rachet combo wrenches...and jackstands.

G

·
I would diffinatly go with a new alternator. That NEEDS to be replaced. As far as the second battery, that will just keep the new
alternator from going bad from taking hits from the system.

·
Registered
787 Posts
tools are good
its not that hard to get it outta there...

imuna have to take mine off too to tighten up my headers... :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Originally posted by: Sharkie17
i will help...
i have some idea of how it's done (my friend did most of the work)
you're gonna be helping with your car bud :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts