New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about The main red wire I believe is the power wire from the battery to alternator wire. This wire goes into a black rectangular box located by the firewall. What is this black box, purpose etc. At first I thought it looks like a little fuse box bu im unsure. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
yes, the little black box is a fuse holder.

you actually have two black boxes.

starting from battery, the first black box is where the starter plugs in and draws current from.
the second black box is an 175AMP ( sort of ANL style ) Ford fuse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
well, there are two black boxes on the entire wire, but only one of them contains a fuse! - it's the black box closest to alternator.

the black box closest to battery is where the starter draws current from - but has no fuse.

I am attaching a somewhat clear picture of what the fuse-containing box, and fuse looks like!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
same thing on the zetec, lead on left goes to alt. lead on right goes to starter. I know this because I just change out cyl head and didnt tighten down the started nut enough and it started smoking lol.

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
ok..I understand the the fuse portion..now the second box...anyone have a pic of whats in there? What makes it so special?

·
Registered
91 Posts
very simple.

the second box provides power to the starter.

it is being held in place by two screws. a 13 mm one and a 10mm.

the 13mm screw incidentally is also the positive contact through which the current flows. So if that screw isn't tight, you might have problems starting the car!

sorry but I have no pics of this box open - should have taken some when I took it out!

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
you would get no power from your alt.... If your battery was good you could probably start it up and run a bit. But it wouldnt be charging youd be dead in an hour or 2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to find out the part number for this fuse folder? I went to check mine and when I pulled up on it it shattered. I think over the years of heat, it became brittle.

The base is still good, but the cover is gone. I went to the dealer but they looked like I had two heads and wanted to sell me a straight through battery cable for $65!

If I cannot find a cover, I'm plannign to just wrap it in elecrtical tape and then heat resistant tape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.