New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my alternator broken too,
and my father are manager of dealer ford in montreal(canada)and he ask it's the biggest problem on cougar because where the alternatore are, he have many water on it and he broke, he cant put a plate beacause if he put plate, the alternator heat,he dont have any solution :-(
it's take 3.2 hours to change it's
it's very long
soory for my bad english
try to understand me

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,932 Posts
I don't think the water hurts it. It's the heat, and a bad design to begin with.

I know how you feel - they are very frustrating. When you replace it, it is best to get a different kind, instead of another Motorcraft brand alternator.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
I don't think the water hurts it. It's the heat, and a bad design to begin with.

I know how you feel - they are very frustrating. When you replace it, it is best to get a different kind, instead of another Motorcraft brand alternator.

I am going to disagree with that one. It has been commonly believed that a rebuilt or aftermarket alt is a better option, but I disagree. From my experience, 100% of all rebuilt or aftermarket alts have failed within 10k miles. I am talking about a wide range of different vehicles, from the Cougar and Focus, to the Expedition and Navigator.

Not to mention, Ford knew of it's issues with the Motorcraft alts, and switched vendors. So now Motorcraft alts are being built by a new vendor who we have had great sucess with thus far. So you understand, Motorcraft never actually rebuilt any alts. Motorcraft is just the distributor. The vendor who was making them had a high failure rate, so Ford/MC switched vendors.

For my money, I would go MC. May be a few $ more, but you get 100% free replacement for 12 months, including labor....if a Ford qualified place installs it. Why get an alt with a longer warranty if you are going to be replacing it every few months, you know?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,932 Posts
Thanks, Fett. I wasn't aware that Ford changed manufacturers - that's actually pretty good news.

Although, I can't fault my new Duralast.

...knock on wood...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.