New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first post though i've been a member of the boards since June of 01, but i've been readin. Anyway this feels like some kind of AA meeting. My name is The Madjoe and I have a problem. It's my cougar. Just replaced my alternator, it's the third one i'm on. First two were stock and this one is from Autozone. Well some F'er at the Local Ford dealership wrapped the hose around some tube that heated the wire and even zipped tied it close enough to a bolt on the alternator and fried the positive wire. It got burned. So of course they took no responsibility for it since warranty just ran out. Don't go to Blythe Ford, i have many horror stories. Well I was wondering, since i moved the wired away, i guess all I need is a fuse for the black box. Can i only get the fuse at Ford and do i need to replace the part of the wire that got burned or can it still be good?

also, My car pic

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Don't feel bad, I'm on alt #3 as well, and my first two were stock POS!
I would replace that section of the wire just to be on the safe side. The mega-fuse can be had at AutoZone for about 5 bucks.

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just went to Autozone where I couldn't get in the Zone. The mega fuse is not available there. But uh, I thought i would pull it out at least. But as always I don't know how to get to it. I guess i'll just order it from Ford (found on road dead). Just hope i can get the fuse and not the whole wire for over a hundred bucks. Anyone know how to get to the fuse easier than the way i'm thinkin of going.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally got the fuse man. Thanks for offering though. I had to call a Ford dealership and ask for it. They gave me a part number which i took to the local dealership. Got it for 5 bucks. Now I have to replace my DPFE thing. And my car should be good, til the next time it breaks down. What happens if you take to long to replace it though, i wonder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay now i'm pissed off. I replaced the the fuse right. But in the process i broke off a piece of the box that went around the Mega Fuse. So I was driving at night and just lost all power and pulled into a parking space and left the damn thing. I'm really wanting to get rid of this car, but it's almost payed off. I don't know if the fuse touched or what or if the a piece of the positive wire grounded somewhere. I have to go back in the morning and figure it out. Damn positive wire. I don't know what to put around the fuse if the box isn't covering it enough to work. I hope i didn't fry my alternator. No more fords.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.