New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this an alternator problem? Help please!

I was driving along listening to my tunes when the volume on my stereo started to decrease. After a few minutes my CD player lost all power, then my headlights cut out and slowly my display lights dimmed out. I brought her to a stop as the car was starting to choke out. When I brought my car to a stop the car eventually died after a few minutes. Keep in mind my battery light never came on during this entire process. The car would not start back up after it died. All I could hear was a clicking noise (I believe the starter) when I turned the car over.

I had the car towed back home and this morning the car started up fine. So I decided to put some load on the car (turned up the stereo, cranked up the heat and rear defrosters) and sure enough she died again. Any suggestions on what is wrong?? The battery light does not come on when the car dies, as the only light that comes on is my airbag light. The car will also run all accessories. The battery and its connections are fine (I just installed a yellow top Optima a few weeks ago). Is this my alternator?? Or possibly the starter??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I believe this is your alternator. The battery probably dies from not being charged, then when it's left alone for a while it probably recuperates enough to start your car briefly.

When my alternator died and the voltage went low enough the air bag light came on. Once the air bag light comes on your not going too much farther.

I don't know why your battery light doesn't come on though. Mine did. Maybe the bulb is out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
HEY - it's definitely your alt. ...your headlights will experience dimming...brightening (at times)...then dimming.

Your gauges will brighten/dim/brighten...

Headunit (HU) will do the same

Then car will die...here is the hint...when you try to restart your car does it go "click...click...click?"

jumper cables will repower your car to start again though..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts