New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update!!!! Replaced battery and alternator and mega fuse. Car starts up with 12
5 slowly goes to 13.5 during idle. While driving it starts dropping to 11.9/12.0. Cables look good, ground looks good.... I am completely stumped. All items are brand new not refurbished.

Yesterday my 2000 2.5 cougar died. It fired back up. Before it died my gauges, my radio, and cigarette lighter powering GPS shut off. 1 minute later car dies. 2nd time it happens 5 miles later, same thing. This time starter clicks twice. Wont crank, etc. I have a brand new alternator not even a month old in it. I have a 5 speed manual so when it died it wouldnt pop start on the highway as it was rolling. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
You're battery cable is probably corroded. They can get corroded under the insulation where you cant see it then cause intermittent problems like that.
Also, since the alternator was touched recently, double check your alternator connections to make sure they are secure and not shorted to anything.
The battery cable was probably your real problem all along though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're battery cable is probably corroded. They can get corroded under the insulation where you cant see it then cause intermittent problems like that.
Also, since the alternator was touched recently, double check your alternator connections to make sure they are secure and not shorted to anything.
The battery cable was probably your real problem all along though.
I checked the battery cables. No corrosion. Looks like they were recently replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I checked the battery cables. No corrosion. Looks like they were recently replaced.
How did you "check" them? A visual inspection or even a continuity test isn't good enough to detect corrosion under the insulation.
Try connecting a jumper cable directly to your starter to prove it. Also, don't forget the ground cable and the cable from the battery to the fuse box next to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Its getting towed back today so ill double check it all. Ill keep in touch and let you know. If you have any other ideas to check please feel free to let me know.

·
8,643 Posts
Your alternator isn't charging for one reason or another. Bad alt, mega fuse, charging circuit fuse, even a bad battery might be to blame (but I sort of suspect the other things first)...

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Check that the three big wire harness connectors in the engine bay are all clean and tight. One is mounted to the drivers side strut tower, the other two are over by the top motor mount. If you open them up to clean them, they should snap back together decisively (the one on the D side bolts together).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts