New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids,

So I want to add satalite radio to my 02, however I really do not want to change out the headunit as it more than fits my needs power wise, and I do not want to lay down a few hundred ontop of the sat receiver. My plan was to get one of the Roadie-type receivers (still undecided on XM or Sirius) and wire it to my stock head (in dash single disk/tape). From what i see the only way to do this is with an FM modulator, but I was hoping that there was some other form of input on the stock headunit, like maybe for a cd changer, that could be used. I have not pulled it from the dash to check it out.

I imagine that the quality loss with the fm modulator is pretty severe, as I would be going from cd quality to fm. It also made me wonder if there were any units on the market with XM FULLY built in & a cd player.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
yes, there are several units with xm fully built in, in fact a few new cars come with xm as an option on the factory deck....as for using an alternate form of input on the stock deck...there is a cd changer module on the back of some headunits but its just a spot where a wire harness plugs in and i would think it would be near impossible to do

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by: 01blkcat
Get the XM Commander... it has an interceptor FM box, that fits between your antenna
and your head unit. The sound is crisp, not radio like at all.

I was looking at that, obviously you would not get any radio interference noise, but wouldn't the sound be processed by the fm processor on the radio? If I'm not mistaken FM has less of a frequency range than cd, so it would be like the difference between an mp3 sampled at 128 vs 80khz

Not sure if I am right here, as I am new to all this, but you see where I am going...

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Well the XM Commander also has line outs, that you could route to the line in on your headunit - they you'd also have high quality sound. I get great bass/highs with the Commander hooked up with the interception box, though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by: ttCougarLongIsland
I think he wants to use his stock head. I don't think there are aux imputs in there
Exactly, however if you say you get great sound through the interceptor, maybe I'll give it a go. Thanks!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have both services and my XM is connected directly to my aftermarket head unit and my Sirius (which is better ;)) is connected using an fm modulator. I myself only notice a little sound quality difference using an fm mod. The best way to get the best quality using your existing head unit would be to get something like this http://shop.store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/20chch.html

This lets you connect your XM directly to your factory headunit using RCA plugs which is just as good as it will get and gives you top notch sound quality (although I think the factory head units suck).

The one you need is the FRDC-AUX and it is expensive. This is another brand but just as expensive if not more : http://shop.store.yahoo.com/xmfanstore/blauxad.html

But if you do not want to get this then I suggest you look for aftermarket PIE AUX-IN Adapters somewhere online...(I'm sure they make more of these).

Also, using your tape deck would be a little better than using fm modulation.

My advice is to get an XM or Sirius ready aftermarket headunit and get your system hooked up directly so you can control XM or Sirius using your head unit instead of having the need of a Skyfi, Roady, Commander or a Sirius name portable device hanging off your dash.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
some older HU's will work without an FM Modulator... I had an old Kenwood Headunit that was from 2000 or 2001 and all I had to do was plug the Sirius unit into the changer controls and it worked beautifully... I wouldn't get a FM Modulator unless you really have to.. if it means getting a new HU then get it.. you can sell yours on EBay easy as hell and secondly there are some great new Kenwood HU's out there (yes I am Kenwood and Sirius biased)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick, thanks for the great info, thats exactly what I was looking for.....

There are a few reasons I don't want to go for a HU upgrade. Mainly by going with a roadie/skifi/xm commander type setup, I can get into it cheap. If/When I was to upgrade my HU, I would want to get a nice one and do it right and along with an entire system, not just what I could fit into my budget now. By going with one of the "plug and play" sat kits, I can try it all out, and if I am digging it upgrade using the cable rick found for better sound a few months from now if desired, Then when I move to a better system, and only be out maybe a hundred bucks from the whole ordeal (or throw it in another car).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts