New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am compiling a survey/database regarding the bucking/surging issues related to the 1999-2001 Cougar. Please submit the info requested below if you have had this issue in the past and resolved it (you lucky dog) or if you are presently having these problems. After the data has been collected I will be sorting by various combinations of year, engine, operating conditions under which the event occurred, etc. and posting the various results.
Input needed: (subject to change and open to suggestions)

• Year Between 1999-2001 only please
• Engine 20.-3.0
• ATX or MTX transmission

The information asked for next has to do with when the surging/bucking issue occurs. IE is A/C on or off, vehicle speed, if the vehicle does this when engine is cold or at operating temperature, etc.

• A/C on or off
• Engine cold or at operating + temp
• Only accelerating, any speed or > 3500RPM
• Finally for those who resolved the issue please list what you believe fixed the problem.

Don’t doubt that I will be sending multiple copies of this to Ford and consumer protection institutions, from what I have observed just having my car for two months, this issue is way too prevalent not to be addressed.
Almost forgot, please mention if your car has mods, I will collect that info separately from the original type configurations.

·
8,582 Posts
This is a waste of time.

First, most of the time, the problem is caused by bad plugs and/or wires (i.e., poor maintenance on the vehicle). Another portion of the time it's caused by the bad fuel pumps which have already been taken care of. The coil pack is also a common suspect. It could even be that you got a batch of bad gasoline - it happens. Also, many people (including me) have noticed what seems to be a miss but is actually just the air conditioning compressor cycling on and off - so there's nothing wrong; it's just how they are.

Second, the car has been out of Ford's lineup for over 5 years now. Over six years if we go by the years in your survey (why exclude 2002 models?). No one is going to care about a 6+ year old car that has a driveability issue. It'd be like me complaining to Airstream that my 17-year-old camper needs a new power converter and demanding they replace it - it's just not going to happen.

You've taken it to a Ford dealer and had them look at it, right? That would be the first step before filing some petition. How'd it go?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First let me clarify that this is NOT a petition and even though I will send the info to Ford, I am not expecting that they jump up and do something about it.
Secondly I think that current or soon to be owners that may experience this issue (severe bucking/jerking not a slight decrease in RPM as the A/C is turned on) could use this as a tool to more quickly identify and troubleshoot their problem. Yes, there are many topics listed for this problem and much conversation going back and forth but you have to read thru so much of it while contending with off topic entries that lead you around in circles without any resolution.
Another thing, I am more than willing to include the data for 2002 Cougars so please feel free to respond if you wish if not, don't bother posting, you are wasting my time.

·
So its begun.....
16,840 Posts
Since you didn't answer the first time, I'm going to ask. I noticed you spent a good amount of money on parts chasing this issue. Have you taken it to the dealer yet to try to get a solid answer?

·
8,582 Posts
Another thing, I am more than willing to include the data for 2002 Cougars so please feel free to respond if you wish if not, don't bother posting, you are wasting my time.
*shrug* Just trying to save you time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts