New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after totaling my car and the airbags not going off even though it was a 60-75mph collision......I'm wondering, where is the airbag front impact sensor is? I don't see any way in which they could have missed it.....What do you think

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
From what I understand, the front impact sensor is actually inside the car and registers the force from the drivers cabin.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
from what i have seen that its located somewhere on the front bumper

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The electronic crash sensor (ECS) is located centrally near the steering column in a protected position behind the instrument panel. The ECS is mounted in a vertical position to facilitate longitudinal impact sensing. The ECS consists of an auxiliary power supply, accelerometer, safing sensor, application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) and a microprocessor.

Impact sensing and evaluation for frontal impacts is supported internally within the ECS whereas side impacts are detected and evaluated by two side air bag satellite sensors.

The accelerometer consists of a micromechanical silicon sensor that produces an electrical signal when deceleration or acceleration occurs.

The safing sensor is designed to prevent unintentional deployment of the frontal air bags.

Taken directly from the Ford Workshop Manual.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yea, I had the same problem, hit a gaurd rail at about 60 or 70 mph smashed the whole front end. No air bags went off

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The thing everybody needs to remember, these are second generation airbags...which are less "sensitive", shall we say.

First generation airbags went off with the slightest bump, you could actually set them off with a bat....ala Fight Club. The problem was, airbags were going off when they need not.

Look at it this way, with all the members who have had front end collisions where the bag did NOT go off....how many were injured? So there was no need for them to go off...they were all fine.

Have you ever had an airbag go off on you, or even see one go off? They are violent, and after seeing the damage they can cause....I hope mine NEVER go off. Imagine an explosive in a burlap bag....nasty stuff.

The second generation airbags are designed to feel the impact INSIDE the car, and make a judgement on the force inside the vehicle...not the impact on the outside.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
.....I managed to crack and bruise my costal cartilage.....I guess in order to have my air bags go off I would have had to hit with enough force to break a rib......although that's not much different.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I don't know about you, but I would rather break a rib than have an airbag deploy in my face. The only time I want my airbag to go off, if it means saving my life. Which is the whole point of the new sensors...if the accident is not forceful enough to kill you..then the airbags do not deploy.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
From the looks of your picture, your car looks repairable, your airbags didn't go off (big money saver) and your frame looks like it didn't get damaged much looking at your 5mph bumper. I say it's not totalled, unless you took major engine damage, which may be the case looking at whatever is sticking out from it.

Airbags can cause you to break your nose as well as bruise it seriously. At least Ford makes these cars solid so you are protected. Most importantly you're alive.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Bah... nothing a little duct tape won't fix! :) j/k... I had a similar collision (me + guardrail) in an early 90's mustang, and the airbag didn't go off. At first, I was thinking wtf, but later, was thankful as they cost large, and insurance wouldn't cover the car, so I was out $5K in repairs. So you're jumping ship, eh? What to?

Massiv.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts