New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking to mod up the dash to fit in a cradle and dock for my iPhone.

The best place i can think of is in place of the driver's centre air vent.

I was just wondering if anybody had any plans/diagrams of the air vent system. I have a general idea and don't think it will be too hard as I have seen people put gauges in the same spot.

I anybody has any tips on closing off one of the vents, hardwiring to the stereo (factory standard for 99' w/ 6 disc changer), & any other dash modifications, please let me know.

In saying all of this I have no automotive knowledge whatsoever so i definately won't be doing this myself. (Also use small words...haha)

Thanks.

Jake

·
Registered
192 Posts
It should be very easy to do it.
As it can be seen from picture, closing one air vent shouldn't cause any problems because air comes from one source and then is splits at the vents. (Notice red area)

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,613 Posts
How is the iPod hooked up to the car? FM transmitter, aux jack or direct connect port to the radio?

I found mine sits perfectly under the ebrake handle in that pocket. I simply drilled out a notch to run the cable out from under the boot. Best of all it doesn't advertise you have expensive toys inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic shywaz. Have been looking for something simmilar for awhile now. Do you have anything else with an open dash? Or centre console maybe?

I've been told that it is a huge job and will wreck the a/c. But looking at the pic & seeing other mods i think it will be pretty simple.

At the moment i have a cradle, charger, fm transmitter combo in a gooseneck unit from Belkin. The sound quality is poor at best. It is in a cramped spot between my knee and the centre console & the position is just far too low.

I want to position it in the top of the dash and i think that the vent is the best position. I will be able to mount a dock and cradle and will have perfect access to the inside of the dash.

I am looking to hardwire it into the back of the stereo in place of the 6-disc changer. (6cds = 6-7hrs of music .... iphone 72hrs - no contest) That will let the stereo control the track selection. I also want to hook up a couple of switches on the steering wheel for track selection/volume.

i think it will look pretty good once completed. And it shouldnt be too enticing when parked as it will only be a very basic dock in the dash.

·
Registered
529 Posts
the whole dash needs to be removed for the driver side and both center vents, as for the passenger i dont know, it was broken when i got the car. its relatively simple. remove defroster button and light switch panel. there might be a few more i just dont remember.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts