New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Route a duct from the factory air conditioner into a modified engine intake box. No more heat soak. Cold dense air.

I clicked on 'search', then "intake", then spent some fine time reading. We all want more, colder, air into our cylinders so we can make faster, bigger explosions. I learned a lot about what's on the market now for our Cougars, but as of yet, I didn't read of any really good system for our car.

Humor me, I've never heard of ac air into the intake before. I know the engine gulps much more air than a car ventalation ac blower could pump out, but it would cool somewhat. Enough to make a difference?

Set me straight people, tell me that all that wacky tobaco I smoked as a youngster didn't do me any good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
""""CasanovaCougar wrote: Do you have any idea how much hp the a/c compressor kills? Compared to the horsepower you'd gain with cold air being blown into the intake and the horsepower you'd lose with the a/c compressor on it wouldn't be worth it at all. """""

Yeah, you're probably right in theory. But I wonder if real life experimintation would bear it out. Is the power loss of running the ac more than compensated by oxygen rich dense air rushing down the runners of the intake?

In a Supercharger we use power from the crankshaft to compress air for craming into cylinders and that power loss is more than compensated.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I had already thought of this idea a while back and came to the same conclusions as casanova. The only way I can see it improve is if you could turn on and off the a/c to the box when you want to, just to keep the air cool. Also, might be a lot of work to get a air tube from inside to the airbox.

Go for it and be the first.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: rock
""""CasanovaCougar wrote: Do you have any idea how much hp the a/c compressor kills? Compared to the horsepower you'd gain with cold air being blown into the intake and the horsepower you'd lose with the a/c compressor on it wouldn't be worth it at all. """""

Yeah, you're probably right in theory. But I wonder if real life experimintation would bear it out. Is the power loss of running the ac more than compensated by oxygen rich dense air rushing down the runners of the intake?

In a Supercharger we use power from the crankshaft to compress air for craming into cylinders and that power loss is more than compensated.
A supercharger is also compressing the air to several times atmospheric, whereas the air blown out of your A/C is certainly CONDENSED but is not pressurized (that much). With my A/C on, my car runs 1.4 seconds slower in the quarter mile. That's a major power drain. I can't see how cold air @ about 50 degrees is going to regain that 1.4 seconds and more. At night, I g-tech a .4 second faster quarter mile when it's 50 degrees outside compared to during the day when it's 80.. And when you're moving, the air in the engine bay is just as cool as the outside air (for the most part). I dunno, somebody can give it a try.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, 1.4 sec off quarter miles times w/ the ac on.... Hmm. I believe it.

Okay, thanks for setting me straight guys. I figured routing the ac to the intake was a wacked idea or it surely would have been done before.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Well couldn't you have is setup that way, but just to keep the intake/manifold cold until you start, then turn it off and start your run? That way your start has a little more power.

But then again, you could just simply ice the intake/manifold like some people do...

·
Registered
324 Posts
but if you think about it. some sort of true cold air box. say one lined with tubes that have the freeon in them or some sort of cooling agent that stays cold under relatively harsh conditions with say an electric fan to push the air to the air filter. in theory it could work. or some sort of intercooler used to keep that air colder than it is outside. it would take a little ingenuity and technical know how but it could be done i think.

G

·
just did a small test...hooked up OBDII scanner on my car,
INJEN INTAKE ONLY: 1. at idle, outside temp 95 F, car fully warmed up, engine bay temp 140 F,
2. at idle IAT reads 140
3. 30 seconds 60 mph temp read at the IAT: 138
4. 45 seconds 60 mph temp read at the IAT: 136

Factory intake with snorkel: 1. at idle, outside temp 95 F, far fully warmed up, engine bay temp 141 F
2. at idle IAT reads 110
3. 30 seconds 60 mph IAT reads: 109
4. 45 seconds 60 mph IAT reads: 108

conclusion: Not real sure how much 30 degrees of difference makes going into the engine Vs. more flow, but the stock cold air box is a very good design other than the flow ratings, which i am going to test out at a later date.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I'm in the process now of developing a cold air box of sorts. Need to run some experiments before and after. If I get it working well I'll post the info on how to make it. Its really not that hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts