New Cougar Forum banner

ahhh the bad luck...

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  IlliniCougar 
#1 ·
Hey guys:) I just thought I'd tell ya what happened to me tonight LOL. I'm drivin home from work and keep hearing this thumping noise that sounds like I have a flat tire, so I pull over and everything is fine. Does it again, I look again and nothing. So I drive again...and my car just like hits the ground and I see my tire fly by the window. So I call the wrecker guy since the number is on my speed dial cause my cars always broke. Me and my friend go look for the tire...well it bounced and bounced till it landed in the Toyota dealership parking lot taking out the side of a brand new Camry. All four of the lugs completely broke off, and now I get to pay to have the Camry fixed, yay.

Oh and my friends car was stolen, the cops seem to think it may be around Charlotte...not sure why, but anyways its a 99 Civic, green with Euros, bodykit and aftermarket spoiler.

#2 ·
holy $#it Crystal! that really suxs.......you know that same thing happend to my dad. he had a big dodge ram with huge tires. he was driving down the street, saw a tire go flying up in the air, it came back down and hit the hood.......then took off down the street, passing several ppl, and went through an intersection. fortunatly the light was green, lol...then it hit a curb and went into a parking lot. it stopped just short of a store's glass window.

it's some unfortunate $#it!!!

M

#3 ·
Sorry to hear about that Crystal.... Who put the tires on? Was it one of the wheels that you bought from me??? I hope that everything works out ok for you, I guess that insurance is going to pay for most of it?

Scott

#5 ·
Yeah Scott it was one of the wheels I bought from you. The same place that tows my car put the tires on, but I just got home from there and it was actually the wheel studs that broke. My car is fine besides that, insurance is going to cover it, but since the estimated damage is over 4k, its going to add 4 points. I knew I shoulda just got my wheel and left without calling the police ...just kiddin:)

#6 ·
Where have you been, I miss you :cry:

You are lucky, very very very lucky that worse didn't happen. If I were you I would get a lawyer and sue the shop for over-torqueing the lug nuts - that is serious stuff. People get a little air-gun crazy when putting on lug nuts, thinking the tighter the better. Truth is if you're not being careful and using a torque wrench it is very easy to over tighten the nuts, which in turn stretches the stud threads until they snap.

I was going home to NY after picking my car up from the body shop when I noticed a horrible vibration at 70-80mph. I stopped at a gas station, and when I took off the center cap two of my lug nuts with studs intact fell into my hand. Mind you, this is 2am in west-by-god virginia, in the middle of no where, after a horrible week of fighting with the shop to finish my car (I had a surgery appt in NY to make). I had to sleep overnight at the gas station until the local dealership opened in the morning to fix the studs. It makes me think. What if I were doing my usual 75mph, on the mountain roads, and a tire flew off? I'd be dead, no question.

I'm glad you're okay! The fact that your wheel rolled down and beat up a camry just adds insult to injury i bet.

#11 ·
Hon, i'm so glad ur ok! a friend back home went through the same thing (accept for the camry incident), she called me at 3 in the morning on the other side of FL (a 4 hour drive) out in the middle of nowhere and told me that...hope everything works out...

and haven't seen ur friend's car at all...

Keliente, ur a trip! ;)

NOTE: oh yea, thanks for reminding me, new rims-need to have them 're-torqued'

#12 ·
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5
I love WV great skiing, GO SNOWSHOE.

Yeh definately sue.....why should you get 4 pts for something that isn't your fault and you couldn't avoid? Thats not fair...but you know what they say...

i wasn't impressed with snowshoe........you need to hit up winterplace my friend. now that's some $#it! i almost died there, lol:thumbsup:

about the wheel.......i don't really know where they'll let you go with it. you should be able to do something because you know what caused the accident. i'd go tell "MR ARIZONA", few will get that, to stick that torque wrench up his @$$ and pay for the damage.

M

#13 ·
I agree that there almost had to be a problem with over-tightening!! I would get some legal advice to see if you can get out of it with nothing on you.

As far as W.V., I feel the same way as Kelly, HATE IT. I like snowshoe, but the rest of the state just doesn't do it for me, especially since I used to make about 10+ trips back and forth to PA. But then again Virginia isn't all that great to drive thru either, I have gotten a few tickets there!!

Scott

Edit: I am assuming that the rim got scratched and banged up??? Atleast you have a spare to put on, gotta love having 5 rims!!

#14 ·
Well I'm sure the over-tightening was the cause...but the owner of the shop is my dads friend, and my dad doesn't want me to say anything. But that was the advice from the police officer too, so right now I don't know what to do. Actually Scott..the rim is still fine, no scratches or anything...I have no clue how that happened. Yesterday they fixed the wheel studs that broke, and my brother decided to just check the other side, and 2 were broke on it.

#15 ·
Not to be an ass, but I wouldn't care if it was your Dads friend or not.

I bet he would be singing another tune if you were in an accident or killed from it. I don't want to be negative, but if he fixed the car and fixed the Toyota then I wouldn't say anything, but you now have 4 points and damage to a new car. But it is up to you.

Glad to hear you are OK and you can bet your @$$ I gotta story for you.

When I was livng in Maroa, Illinois I was seeing this girl. I had just bought me an 84 T-bird. (named the Thunderchicken) Anywho, me and this girl got in an arguement so I went to this girls party. She got all pissy about me staying over at another girls house because I was to drunk to drive, and she was hot. Well I am on my way to work in Clinton Illinois the next day and hear a noise similar to a flat tire. But ol' stupid me was late for the best job I had at the time(16). I delivered medicine to old folks for $10/hour.

I get about a block from the pharmacy and low and behold the tire decides it is just gonna keep on going on it's own not attactched to the car. It hit some guys truck and didn't do any damage and he told me "Man, I ain't pissed, but you need to get that fixed." --Thanks for the newsflash Brokaw--

Well I was late getting to work and was told to not come back. I told Gary, the pharmicist, what happened and he said, "Son you need to take care of your responsibilities and not bring your problems to work." Well, that went over like a fart in church and I was jobless.

I called Michelle (the girls whose house I stayed at) and told her what happened. Thankfully she has a camera system on the outside of her house. It clearly showed Nate and Nick(the ex's bother and his friend) loosening my lugnuts. I didn't sue or anythig at first, but wish now I did.

I played a little hardball. I went to this hunting type store and bought fox urine. (Smells like @$$, feet and cornchips that have been baking in the Mississippi sun for 3 weeks.) I then put it in their vents and never said anything to anyone. Come winter I heard about their cars and didn't say anything. Still to this day, no one knows.

HA HA HA HA HA HA

Those were the days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.