New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I search for a how-to on painting my headlights, I can only find one website that describes the process. Is http://atomicinternet.homeip.net/teamneco/listHOW.asp?RecordID=18 the ONLY link/how-to that tells someone how to paint headlights?

I just want to make sure I do this procedure correct and would like any extra help I can get...does anyone know of anymore?

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yep, it is... thats the how to that i first used WAAAY back when i had my red cougar... its good :)

the only thing - dont use 'black silicon sealant' it just doesn't seal well (i found at least)

i used this Clear Automotive sealant, by a company called "Goop" comes in a purple tube with white writing... works real well and its waterproof and all that good stuff - so when it seals, you dont get condensation afterwards (which is a problem alot of people run into if they dont use the right sealant)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
in order to not get condensation all you have to do is take off those covers on the back of the headlight assembly. But I agree on not using black sealant...it's just not fun,

Mike

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so the factory sealant that is already inside the headlights is enough to hold them together after i've painted them and put them together again? I will not need any extra sealant?..... ok and that is the only link huh? I would have thought someone else would have put one together, like Crispy or someone.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
well, putting on more sealant will always help... since you've broken the seal.
and yeah - Mike is right about removing the backs if when you seal them back up... you still get condensation, and are too lazy to open them back up and seal them again. :tongue:

and nope, no one has put together a diffrent how-to, because THAT how-to is perfect the way it is... :)

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I used the black sealant the first time i split my headlights. Then i cleaned it off and didn't use it the second time and just left the stock sealant. And my headlights haven't fogged up at all after both tear downs :shrug:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
in order to not get condensation all you have to do is take off those covers on the back of the headlight assembly. But I agree on not using black sealant...it's just not fun,

Mike

:) Just to make sure - I haven't even taken out my headlights to look them over yet, I just want to know as much as possible before I get myself going on this task...when you guys talk about the covers on the back...what exactly are those? - Thanks...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
There is a cover on the backs of the headlights that allows you to access the bulbs. Thats what you remove.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thats what i thought he meant, anotherwards if you ARE getting condensation...simply remove those covers? problem solved.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
u can always just put OPTX strobe lights in the bulb housing and watch them catch on fire because they get too hot like I did and then have to buy new headlights.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide

Mike

With my first set of headlights, I didnt add any extra sealant to them. I had bad condensation, I took the back plastic cover off and it will disappear within a day. The next time it rains though I got a little condensation and then that goes away as well.
However with the cover removed, the inside of my lights got filthy and little bugs crawled in their and died. Not a good idea to run around with the covers off permenantly! Since my accident the new headlights and sealed tight and I have not gotten any condensation in 7 months. Acutally when I installed the new lights the biult up a little condensation straight from Ford, but since i painted an resealed it is all good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts