New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

At a local store, I can get an AEM short ram for 150$...is that a descent price?

Remember I live in Canada, so that is in CDN and if anything else, it will have to be online shipped from a million miles away...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd say just get the CAI from Customcougars.com. You'll end up with more horsepower for around the same price (Not sure what the exchange rate is). Of course you'll have to drill a hole.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by: ignernt
Actually they should be about the same amount of horsepower, the CAI just eliminates heat soak.
I agree. No dyno has been done, as far as i know, but i don't think there is a difference in the horsepower. Like he said just heatsoak, and I wouldn't think heatsoak would be that big of a deal in Canada...

Get the AEM or just get the shortram intake from custom cougars,, its only 70 bucks :smoke-g:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys....

And it does get warm out here....on the west coast.....in the summer.....sorta...LOL :p

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Don't know about canada but it can get pretty toasty in Cali :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, it has to be humid as well as hot... I think its something like 80 degrees and up and somewhere around 40% humidity.... IIRC

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
you can get the AEM shortram for $119.99 on ebay. There's a seller on there that's always selling them, me and my friend bought ours from him. As for hp numbers, I believe that George dynoed his Titan CAI, and it was something like a 6fwhp gain. I don't think the shortrams give you that much.

Mike

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
The Titan is a cold air extension that connects to a short ram. i bet if you dynod a short ram alone at the same temperature that the IAT would read with the Titan in place, the hp difference would be negligable. The cold air extension is all about eliminating heat soak, not improving hp over a plain short ram.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yep, the official dyno on the titan was 6-7hp and 8-9tq when attached to georges injen intake... or maybe it was grayv6's aem... i cant remember which test car it was... but anyway yeah - like Don said... the CAI is all about getting rid of heatsoak (which robs you of what little power the intake already produces)

All the CAI's are pretty much the same- the the CC.com one should be about the same which is good :) go for it if you would like
but as far as AEM short rams go - $150cdn is a good price... everywhere else its normally $130usd! which is like $175cdn (without shipping / duty)

but really... no one buys short rams anymore, and if they do, its from ebay where they are $30 bucks :tongue:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD

but really... no one buys short rams anymore, and if they do, its from ebay where they are $30 bucks :tongue:
i bought my aem intake off of ebay during the summer for 100$ thankyou very much

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Originally posted by: Magoo

i bought my aem intake off of ebay during the summer for 100$ thankyou very much
If that's the case you paid too much... the ones on Ebay are the Bomz... ;)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
question tho. It may eliminate heat soak, but isn't it sucking in more air, since the filter is located behind the lower front grill? A lot more air is rushing in there than say, under the hood, where it's sucking in barely nothing but hot engine air, and maybe a little air that's coming in from the upper grill. ??

Mike

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: ignernt
Originally posted by: Magoo

If that's the case you paid too much... the ones on Ebay are the Bomz... ;)
yes... my condolences :tongue:

but at least you paid for the better name...

N

·
0 Posts
Honestly I think the AEM is the best hands done, the workmanship and quality is definatly noticeable. Ive seen the blue AEM and I was wowed. If I was into colored intakes I would get one..

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
question tho. It may eliminate heat soak, but isn't it sucking in more air, since the filter is located behind the lower front grill? A lot more air is rushing in there than say, under the hood, where it's sucking in barely nothing but hot engine air, and maybe a little air that's coming in from the upper grill. ??

Mike

IMHO, i would think that there is plenty of air going to both... Granted the CAI is lower on the car, but an intake can only suck so much air at once...

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
just wait till you are idling in rush hour traffic in 100+ degrees heat....
add to that the engine heat that a short ram would be taking in..

Mike

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
The AEM is definilty worth the money. Especially if you want to upgrade to a CAI extension.

The Bomz is a rip off of the Injen intake. The AEM however is a great design, 3" which is perfect for CAI. The Injen/Bomz intake pipe is only 2.75"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts