New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i read a past post about adding an amp to the front speakers, and just using the wire from the HU to connect to the output of the amp, but since those wires will be taken up then for the front speakers, what do i do to add tweeters in the little triange thing in the top front corner of the doors? i dont want to have to take off the dorrs and try to fit more wires in the little tube thing because i've heard that that is really hard to do. and since i will be adding more power to my front speakers, i cant just connect the tweeters to the same wires, because the tweeters wont be able to handle that power. they tweeters are the pioneer ones, so i think their max power is 50watts. so what do you suggest i do? should i just find another location for the tweeters? or is there an alteritive? thanks

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
do you have crossovers for the tweets??how many ohms are they??i am not sure if they will affect your amp or not but i would thik if they are 4 ohm and your mids are 4 ohm as well then wouldnt your amp have to be stable at either 2 or hehe 8 ohms..anyway..the sail panel is a good place for the tweeters..but i would just buy some Xovers and install behind the door panels..i cant imagine your putting that much power to your fronts..anyway speakers have an amazing ability to handle far more power then they are rated for...provided there is no clipping or distortion...i hope your tweets are 50 RMS...i hear that the door boots are impossible to get any extrra wires through..but i have seen a cougar in the cardomain site that has cut parts of the door jambs away and put in larger boots that he got at the wreackers..then put all the wire you want through there..eiterh way you will have your work cut for you..good luck

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, i dont have xovers, and i dont have the tweeters yet, but i should be getting them for x-mas ;) (come on santa!), so i dont know the ohms of them. but i was just planning ahead. so you think i should just run wires from the front speakers to the tweeters in the sail pannels? you dont think they will get over powered? the amp puts out 150 watts RMS to each speaker. (and i dont have the amp yet either, but i know its purchased and in the mail because i got it from a fellow NECO member)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) i alread have after market speakers
2) i got the amp used for a very good price
3) i dont need the woofers i already have a set, and just got another for a very good price

so i just wanted the tweeters, but i dont know what to do to wire them now with the amp.

G

·
I have gone through 4 different sets of tweets coming from the head unit itself. Even with a bass blocker. I do not suggest hooking up to an amplifier even with a higher power rating on the tweets. I suggest running the wire even if it is a biaaaaaaaach! good luck.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My 5$ tweeters are good on a 250watt amp- especially when they burn out and the ringing in my ears last 3 days that time.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
hehe i hear that my tweeters cost $20 and have been ripin the crap out of my ears and are 100 watt...

anyway back to topic..
is your amp a 2 or 4 channel??hopefully it is a four channel and you can adjust the internal crosover to the high pass and run th etweeters off the front channels and run the mids off the rear..gonna be a seriuos PITA to get those wires through though...i guess you could alway use like a 18 awg wire with lots of turtle wax on it to slide though the boots..try taping the wire to a piece of coat hanger and pushing through very slowly and carefully, you wouldnt want to tear the boot open...i will try to find that guy who made his boots bigger and maybe he could help you...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
well i found the car but i dont know how to track down the guy...maybe someone in here knows who he is...but he would definately be the one to ask just look at what he has done to his cougarguys (ED's) car domain page..

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, i was just looking at his site like yesrerday, and i REALLY dont want to have to take off the doors and cut my door and all. i was thinking about other places to mount them. i know someone has moved their hedlight switch, and installoed a gauge in it's place. so maybe i could do the same, but install a tweeter there. and then on the passesnger side, just either use 3M double sided tape and mount it in about the same position as the drivers side, or else cut a hold out for it to fit into. i will have to ook into that. the driver side in the head light switch spot seems like it would work though.

here is the amp im getting.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
this is where i mounted my tweeters.

EDITED:...sorry just attached the pic instead...not sure why the pic didnt show..it was shown on my screen and in my preview..oh well here it is anyway..

i dont think it matter where you decide to put them you will be pulling something appart..doors are easy...bunch of screws and some muscle...then you can put them in your sails or on the door...you prolem ill be running extra wire through the door jamb boots..my tweeters are just wired right off the fronts..they have built in Xover(Caps)..anyway best of luck with this

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can you describe where you put yours or attach the pic? because all i see is a red X. thanks

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I put one set of tweeters into the sail panel, which are ran straight off the 5x7". I have kept this cheap set for almost 1 year now. And I also put some 1" tweeters into my overhead console light where the side map lights were. Best hidden center channel so far.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
after viewing and reading about your amp...i believe the best set up would be to mount the tweeters any whrer you want...where i have whrere lucky has them or in the sails aswell...your amp is 2 ohm stereo so you will have to wire the tweeters up in parallel with your fronts that way you will get two two ohm loads (one from either side of car) i dont think the out put of that amp will fry your tweeters...if they are rated 50 RMS and your putting maybe if your lucky 75 RMS to them they shouldnt blow...ther shouldnt be any distortion to them if you set your gains right and have you filter in the full or high pass mode...i am asuming that your tweeters also have a capacitor wired in line ...when it comes down to it i dont thik that amp with the four speakers loading down your amp ina parallel setup will hurt anything other then your ears...good luck and post pics when your done...

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the help crasyoldcougar. i thought of one other option, but i dont know how difficult it will be.

how about mounting them right infront of the windshield, one on either side of the defroster. the sound should bounce off the windshild and go right to the drivers/passenger's ears right? and then i could just kinda tuck the wirs between the dash and the pillers. hows that sound?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i would try temporarily tying your tweeters in and moving them around the dash area and door area and see where you think it sounds best...your music may sound different then mine and i will bet that your tweeters will sound different then mine...hold them in place for a minute or two with some scotch tape and see what you like the best...i thought about putting mine in the corners of the windshield as well right against the pillars but i didnt want to spend that much time hiding the wires..doors only take about 5 minutes to pull appart..so that is where mine went..i did it in the middle of the winter...no garage and it gets pretty damn cold in ontario...best of luck with these i hope they sound great

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats a good idea. i will probaly just get some ideas, and try them out with the scotch tape thing.

yeah, the doors i have pulled apart numerous time, so that shouldnt be a problem. thanks though.

·
Registered
850 Posts
heres how i did mine, it fairly easy. all you do is poke a small hole on the harness boot (at the top end towards the part were it disconnects from), run the wire through the little indention shown on attachment. you might have to disconnect the boot from the part that plugs into the harness on the car to guide the wire through the hole.
to run the wire into the car you have to take off the kicker panels and just stick your hand up there till you find the wires.

Your best bet would be to run the wire to the amp and hook it up to the 5x7's. hook the tweeters up to the stock speaker wires in the door so they are ran directly to the head unit.

Its all pretty much self explanatory once you have everything takin apart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.