New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about the last "bolt-on" left for me to do, and was kind of curious how much they cost (flip chip ONLY).

Also, what are the expected REALISTIC gains from this and where in the powerband will it give me the most gains?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would recommend buying an Excalibrator 2 from ADC cause not only do they do a custom tune like a chip but you can make changes to your tune and datalog with this unit. I bought mine about 2 months ago but come to find, when i got it they did not have the user adjustability and datalogging software out yet. So now I have to wait for an update to come out to unleash its full potential.

For new buyers I do believe that they have the advantage 3.0 software out now so if you decide to get it it should come with the user adjustablity and datalogging ready to go. Just call ADC or visit the forums at www.sctflash.com and you can find out if this is right for you.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch!! I see you also have an atx, what were the butt dynos like after the setup?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Agreed. This is also my last 'bolt-on' mod, and I'd like to get a flip chip as well.. gas mileage setting, then maybe a nitrous setup for the possibility in the future. Actually, that tuner seems like a much better deal, you'll be able to tune basically everything! How much does that run? Keep this thread updated w/ any info!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I contacted SCT directly about who could supply Cougar 2.5L tuning programs, for use with their SCT Xcal1 or Xcal2 programmers. They recommended Lonnie at BlueOvalChips.com.

What happens is that SCT supplies their dealers with the programmer and, the dealer develops a tune that is either "burned" into the programmer or can be uploaded into it via you computer.

Both the Xcal1 and Xcal2 can be end user adjusted. The Xcal1 requires the use of SCT's free Extreme Tuning software (you program on your computer, upload to the Xcal1, then tune your car using the programmer) or, the Xcal2 which allows the adjustments directly from the programmer.

An application chart and expected performance gains can be found at SCT Xcalibrator. It's suggested gains of 8 HP and 8 torque are possible.

·
Registered
485 Posts
What I noticed most was how the car accelerated quicker when already moving and shifted firmer and faster than the stock programming. From a stop the car still doesnt feel like it pulls hard until the secondaries open but I love how my car feels and how ADC tuned it. I would like to do a true dyno tune sometime but that will have to wait until I get more funds.

I bought the Excalibrator 2 for $400 from ADC with a custom tune. They were going to do a group buy on it awhile back but not that many were interested. Maybe if you guys plan on getting something like this you can start another group buy just contact ADC.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I picked one of these pic from a guy who does SVT contours and the SVT focus. I havnt uploaded the programming yet as I still need to run through my current tank of 89...bah!

·
Registered
83 Posts
So i am getting a full exhaust headersm y pipem test pipe and a cat back, and i want to get a full cold air intake and an svt upeer intake until i get more money, should i buy the chip then, or later for the very lasy. And dont chip put a lot more wear on your engine, my cougar is my daily driver I want a car that gets good gas mileage, yuet hauls ass, and i realize im giving up some gas mileage with all that stuff i wanna get.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would say buy the chip after you have installed all those parts. Then ADC can tune your chip with what you've installed to get more gains in power. A chip will not wear out your engine more than your bolt-ons will, if you kept driving your engine hard all the time and did poor maintenance is where I can see your engine degrading over time. I had my car tuned to run on 91 octane and see no big loss in MPG and I still get around 325-350miles per fill up. If your worried about gas just have them keep the stock octane setting of 87 and don't floor the pedal all the time if u do.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Don't drive it like a race car (hard for ME to say), and you can tune bolt-ons and such to have the same milage as stock with higher octane... if you're not a speed demon. You'd be surprised home much gas you can save by smart tuning... and keeping the secondaries closed. :D

·
Registered
408 Posts
Originally posted by: CbOy2000
I bought the Excalibrator 2 for $400 from ADC with a custom tune. They were going to do a group buy on it awhile back but not that many were interested. Maybe if you guys plan on getting something like this you can start another group buy just contact ADC.
Do you have a link to ADC? Also, does ADC supply the actual file or do they "burn" the tuning program directly into the programmer?

Thanks.

PS, I reprogrammed my wifes 03 Focus and your description is pretty accurate even on her 4 cylinder. Hit the gas while rolling and the car seems to get and an go better - nice for Autocrossing/SoloII.

·
Premium Member
12,347 Posts
after reading through the forums on sct i'm a little weary of the sct xcal2. seems like a lot of people are having problems with theirs. hopefully its just isolated cases though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
j99coug said:
after reading through the forums on sct i'm a little weary of the sct xcal2. seems like a lot of people are having problems with theirs. hopefully its just isolated cases though.
Well it seems like a lot of people are tuning blind. They are going in adjusting timing, etc, etc without any sort of basis for adjusting it. That definatly would cause problems. Im willing to bet its more user error than anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.