New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The information I get on the 2000 cougar 2.5 l is that the horsepower peak is about 170. But, Recently, to get an idea of just how fast my cougar is, Me and my freind leary and his 96 honda civic LS, decided to run em. I beat him, but his 110hp civic keept up until third gear, I ralize the cougar is like 600lbs more than the civic, but I was expecting to spank him, not ease away. Am I Missing something?

Also, Is the cougar governed? It seems to cut out at about 120mph.
thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, yes. When I bought this car I didnt want to mod it, I was hopeing to get out of it. But recently Ive just started to research what I can do to it. One thing lead to another and, here I am. I wanted to change the transmisson, But I was informed Id have to prety much find another cougar of the same year and use it as parts. I cant do this. So Im gonna leave it automatic. I knew my auto has a significantly slower takeoff than the standard, But I didnt know it was just a bit faster than a stock civic.
Im hopeing with the mods I have planed out I can reach about 240hp, and this should make up for the loss in acceleration.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
haha we just kinda went over this in that other hp post

do you wanna reach 240 wheel HP?
or do you just want to be able to say "yeah I have 240 hp"
and actually be talking about crank hp#'s which in my IMO are

This may give you an idea. You could get every bolt-on made for the 2.5L motor and still never reach 240 FWHP
You could get:
Port and polished heads with 3L valves
with a 3L hybrid motor and all the bolt-ons ever made for our car and still not get 240 front wheel HP

You could take all that and swap in a Manual transmission and then add to the tranny another 1,300 and still not get
240 front wheel HP or 230 for that matter

sorry to be harsh but this is the reality we call Cougar
it can be done but prepared to pay.

all that with a 75 shot will probably make 240fwhp on an ATX

Good luck kid

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
240 hp to the wheels or crank? Actually now that i think of it doesnt matter because you better have a lot of money yield those kinds of numbers.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Horsepower is great but you can have a quick car without having to have outrageous horsepower numbers. Before i say this i realize there are big differences in this car but, the 1991 Eagle Talon TSI i owned had 190 stock, and that car could take down some serious big boy cars. Yes it was turbo and all wheel drive but it had 15 more hp's than the cougar. I'm just trying to say that there are different ways to get acceleration and speed if thats your thing other than just trying to rack up big Hp numbers.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
crank horsepower is what is given to you in all the car magazines and from the dealerships...so why is it a bad thing to say "i got 240 horses"? Do this: get every bolt on possible, and some computer-enhancing mod (chip, ECU), that should put you near the 220-230 crank hp. Then, gut your interior of everything, you could probably save about 300lbs if you do that along with get some lighter bodyparts. Then to top it off, add some nitrous, and then you can say you got 280! (crank of course)

Mike

·
Registered
722 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a bad thing at all. It's something to be proud of. I think guys are just saying in this car with this motor alot of money is needed to have that bragging right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what? Thats crazy. You can take a 110 hp civic and get it up to 250hp with just a b18 engine swap, turbo kit, and nos, but I cant get an extra fifty horses outta a v6 2.5 l ??? Damn, thats bad. The most engine wise I plan to spend is about eight grand, Im more going for aesthetics. Im hopein for the best, well see in a few months. Cheers...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by: Brandoom9
what? Thats crazy. You can take a 110 hp civic and get it up to 250hp with just a b18 engine swap, turbo kit, and nos, but I cant get an extra fifty horses outta a v6 2.5 l ??? Damn, thats bad. The most engine wise I plan to spend is about eight grand, Im more going for aesthetics. Im hopein for the best, well see in a few months. Cheers...
Hahaha, did you say "just" an engine swap ,turbo and nos...
Sorry, back to the point. Parts are more readily available for imports, since they are the tuner cars per say. You can get power with the 2.5, the problem is that you need deep pockets and get some custom work done( true dual exhaust, hotter cams, etc). The cougar was limited to a 4 year run, so the aftermarket is not very big...
The turbo for the cougar would get an MTX to 240 to the wheels I believe, but regardless of which way you go, ATX blows for performance and "you gotta pay to play" as some of the guys here say.
Peace,
Gus.
edit: just read my own post and notice I came off a bit rude. Sorry, did not mean to. Point is our demand wasn't enough for a cheap supply...

·
Registered
585 Posts
yeah, Engine swap, turbo, and nirtous are pretty big mods; not to mention trying to get it all to work together. 250hp isn't very impressive on a turbocharged motor with nitrous. There are people on here that have nothing more than the vortech blower and exhaust that have over 250 FWHP (I know, my numbers aren't very impressive for what I have, but my car wasn't at it's best back then so maybe when I dyno it again I'll do better.) Also, when comparing your car to a honda, you have to consider lots of honda owners (that I've met anyway) like to use rice math to add hp numbers.

If those cams that are supposed to be coming to the US end up proving themselves 240 crank hp NA won't be that hard to get.

On a side note...
Civic------> ugly and waste of money
Cougar--> very good looking and not the most trendy car on the road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
3rd gear is a cougars best in MTX's... What you need, and me too. is LOW END TORQUE. Cougars haev none what so ever, and that's what makes them "slow". If you gain some Low end torque, you'll "whoop" the civic your friend owns.

HP sells car, Torque wins races.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O ok I see what your saying, Turbo, chip, headers, exhaust,intake,cams, injectors, plugs, and maybe a shot or two of nos, and I can have the power I want, maybe a lil more. I thought you meant the powertrain cant push much more than 240. I was a lil confused, but I gotcha. This forum is helping me alot with my vision.

Peace, brandon

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
but I cant get an extra fifty horses outta a v6 2.5 l ??? Damn, thats bad.
ummm, I'm not trying to be rude but you do understand you never specifed whether you
were looking for WHEEL HP or CRANK HP #'s right? Even after I asked which you were looking
for.
Like I said before if you want 240fwhp on you ATX spend a good part of that 8,000.00 on the motor.

Maddog: on his car with his transmission he will need big HP #'s to achieve some sort of quickness IMO
like you said AWD Turbo is alot different that a ATX V6 cougar hehe

O ok I see what your saying, Turbo, chip, headers, exhaust,intake,cams, injectors, plugs, and maybe a shot or two of nos,
The headers would probably just be Exhaust/turbo manifold/s and I don't thnk anyone has been able
to make turbo set-up for the ATX yet. So that might be more than 8,000.00 you are needing maybe not though.
It doesn't sound like you have to much experience with your motor yet so maybe ask some more question here
get all your info together and find a good performance shop near by to help put a custom turbo set up together.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you were planning on using nitrous you should be able to hit your goal (if your goal is 240 crank) with just that and nothing else - if you go with a large shot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WHP is all I need, Id like a fast looking car, and Id like some power to back it up.

get all your info together and find a good performance shop near by to help put a custom turbo set up together

Performance Plus, is the shop where our car club gets most mods, engine work and bodywork. Mike, the owner, says hes never heard of a cougar turbo thats marketed. But, that hed continue to ask around. I know there is because Ive see a turbo charged cougar in super street. What about supercharger?

you were planning on using nitrous you should be able to hit your goal (if your goal is 240 crank) with just that and nothing else - if you go with a large shot.

Im considering it. But, Im worried about how nos well respond to an aftermarket chip. I dont want any internal detenation going on. If I can get the power from just boltons and engine work Ill go that route.

thanks, peace...

edit- and what about my other question, Is the cougar governed. It seems to cut out at about 115, Or at least the road course does.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
That's the non sport governor added to the non sport package cars. It is there due to the ****ty tires it comes with. With the addition fo a chip it can be removed.

You can get filp chips, aka chips with multiple programs. One could be tuned for N2O use and the other couls be NA, and even a third for a larger N2O shot...etc.

You get the idea.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
WHP is all I need,
If I can get the power from just boltons and engine work Ill go that route.
This may give you an idea. You could get every bolt-on made for the 2.5L motor and still never reach 240 FWHP
You could get:
Port and polished heads with 3L valves
with a 3L hybrid motor and all the bolt-ons ever made for our car and still not get 240 front wheel HP
You could take all that and swap in a Manual transmission and then add to the tranny another 1,300 and still not get
240 front wheel HP or 230 for that matter

all that with a 75 shot will probably make 240fwhp on an ATX
Good luck kid

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I say look into the cutstom turbo. If you say you have 8k to spend...shoot for it.

Closest thing to a replacment for displacement....

Next dream mod on my car a 2.4L maybe stroked to 2.6 or 7....sweet. only 10 more hp stock for stock, but **** loads of torque.

My car went from 140 crank hp, NA to 190 FWHP boosted, I have yet to tune the 8 injector setup. Pick up the book "maximum boost" by corky bell...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.