New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have some issues with my otherwise lovely 1999 cougar that I can't figure out.

-----Story-----​
When I was driving home suddenly the "trio of despair" (ABS,Tracton Control and Brake light) lit up. I don't know if there is any connection but I had driven on a rough gravel road a couple of km before.
I quickly pulled over and restarted the car and the lights where gone, but after some meters they lit up again.

I drove home with the three lights on constantly. That night i tried to see if I could fix the issue but no luck. They where now on constantly; as soon as I start the car without even driving. This has been the situation since.

-----Diagnostics-----​
I tried to check the wheel sensors and metal rings and for anything obvious, aswell as break fluid but nothing. I also tried to unplug the battery for a while but the lights still come on as soon as I start the car.
The brakes works as normal albeit no ABS.
It should be noted that I realized that the rear left handbrake cable had snapped and that has been replaced but didn't change anything.

This week I bought a ForScan compatible OBD-II reader that can read ABS codes. It showed the following:

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Line

(Note that this is after i unplugged it therefore the 0.1V)

What I have read online is this not refering to the main ECU but instead the TCS module, but i would like an second opinion on this.
I checked the 4 wheel sensor readings and they worked flawlessly and when driving calmly showed the same value, tough they didn't go below 2km/h which might be a limit. This should indicate that atleast some electric parts of the TCS module work, maybe?
When i reset the DTC codes and is prompted to turn off and on the ignition, the code displays again (without even starting the car).

-----Conclusion-----​
There seem to be quite a few who have had these three lights before, but either the posts end without a posted solution or the lights seem intermitent, which is not the case here.
I could not find anything on this forum with the B1342 code in the ABS module so therefore I ask in a new post. Anyone who recognize this issue and or code please help me.
I would also appreciate any tips/links on how to physically access the TCS module, it is as we all know a very cramped engine bay.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
We haven't really seen much trouble with those systems on this forum, but it sounds like your troubleshooting efforts are all sound. Try unplugging and cleaning the terminals on the ABS module and checking the continuity on the wires. You could probably check the reservoir level sensor too. I'm not sure if the parking brake sensor feeds that circuit or not but that might be another easy thing to look at.
After that, you might need to replace the module.

Reactions: lordtankjunior

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing i did today was the worst mechanic endevour i have even ever done, 4 hours for 6 screws, but now the MFer is out:

Wood Table Output device Flooring Floor
Automotive tire Wood Audio equipment Automotive lighting Gas

I did this because it is easier to diagnose with it out. Could probably have tested some of the things you suggested mmc757 without removing it completely but what is done is done. I will try to open it to see if i can find any loose wires.

Might aswell give a guide to those in the future who might think it would be fun to do this:

How to remove the TCS module
-To ease the process you should first remove the left inner fender. If you're not a total machochist you will have a better time if you remove the brake servo and adjacent the brake lines also.

-Remove the earthing cable that comes out of the big TCS cable connector from underneath with a 13mm (or simular in inch) wrench.

-Remove the thick cable that is connected to the TCS module. Note that this is no ordinary connector, you need to slide a latch on the left side (towards the front of the car). Then you should be able to easily pull it off and out of the way.
Check this: Trying to unplug the ABS/TCS multiplug

-In total 6 bolts where the 2 in the middle are located on the worse side of hell, you should start with these incase you decide to give up. They are torx T20 and your best bet is a torx alan key with you holding the short part.

-Spend about 15-30 min to feel your way to one of these middle screws. You need to do this from underneath, note that you won't actually see the screw but it is there.
Scream as you use all your might to get it loose, cry because your fingers hurt and then continue to unscrew it.

-Repeat for the other middle one side

-The other screws will be a walk in the park compared, access the bottom ones from underneath and the top ones from the engine bay.

-Assume fetal position as you realize you will need to reattach the module at some point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Short update:
(I only have the ability to work on the car weekends hence the slow updates)

I have now tried the stuff you suggested but alas; no luck.
So finally bit the bullet and got a newish (see picture) tcs module. In the process of trying to fix the old one I completely broke
it so I have little other choice now :/
Vehicle Motor vehicle Asphalt Font Gas

Checked all the numbers so hopefully this one works.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,045 Posts
Yikes - are you capable of bleeding that? Last time I replaced one of those (not on a Cougar) I had to take it to a professional to have it bled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes - are you capable of bleeding that? Last time I replaced one of those (not on a Cougar) I had to take it to a professional to have it bled.
I plan to only use the electronic tcs module part (couldn't find one without the abs pump).
Or do you mean that I need to perform some ABS bleeding process anyway?

In the ForScan software I can do some resetting of various computers, but I have yet to find anything about ABS bleeding. Do you know if that is a computer option that I am missing or if it is a manual process for this car?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,045 Posts
Well if you remove the ABS pump from the system, you will need to bleed it. I didn’t have access to ForScan at the time, so I can’t say for certain if that allows you to cycle the ABS pump as required or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts