New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so when I got this car back in March it ran really rough. I was deploying shortly there after, so the most I did was take it around the block one time. Stored it for almost 7 months... now that I'm back I'm trying to trouble shoot the problem. I talked to Crispy and she said it didn't start acting up until after she replaced the spark plug wires, so OK, I went out and bought new wires, plugged them up, nope same problem still there. I checked the tranny fluid, kinda low, so I topped it off (same with the engine oil). So I take it around the block and it bucking and sputtering like all hell, pull it back into my drive way and the thing dies on me. I start it back up and dies again but now the CEL is flashing. I run the self diagnostic and it's not pulling any codes. I hope someone can give me some kind of help from this video.

I'm trying to get the car registered, but there is no way I'll pass inspections like this :(

Anyways, video is here:
YouTube - Cougar Running Rough

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure about the wires... BDK or something like that from the local Checkers Auto Store. I took the plug out of bank 4 and it looked good, maybe I'll tear it apart again and check all the plugs :banghead: As for the coil pack, no I haven't replaced it. I'll swap the plugs first, then I guess I'll move to the coil pack.

·
So its begun.....
16,840 Posts
And if you have a multimeter you can check the pack before replacing it.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, I put everything back together. I couldn't test the coil pack because my mutimeter was dead. Anyways, started her up, it sounded better but there was still a slight misfire going on, took her around the block again and the CEL started flashing again. So maybe it is the coil pack. I'll be taking it off and buying a new one (I hope this fixes the problem).

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
John, did you ever check out the fuel? I'm still thinking that gas has gone bad. She said she had it sit for around a year or so, then you've had it sit for another 6 months while you were deployed. I would check into that also. If you can, go ahead and pick up an OBD-II code reader so you can see exactly what those codes are. I've got one here but I'm pretty backed up for the day here.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, for that problem I ordered a fuel cap off of BAT Inc (the one you don't need to remove the cap, it has the pressurized filler hole that is spring loaded). Anyways, I just added 5 Gal of new gas. I'll drin the tank if the new coil pack does not fix the problem. That is still a possibility but it shouldn't make it misfire since the CEL was blinking... I don't know, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Most likely the mis killed the plug wire ... coil packs don't go bad that often. However, if the wire is fried and the car is driven like that, the coil could go bad as a result. Check the coil pack and save some money!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I ran into a problem like yours. I wound up having to replace all 6 plugs just to get it to run without missing.

Question. What causes your plugs to look black like that? All 6 of mine are like that...is it running rich by chance? I got P0420 today...not sure if its sensor related.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If by some chance the gasoline didn't contain alcohol additives; then you might run into some watering issues. If that is the case, you need to look at getting some "dry gas" or rubbing alcohol with 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol. Their is 70% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol, but you don't want to get this as it is 30% water which is what you are wanting to get rid of. You add about 12 ounces of alcohol/"dry gas" per 10 gallons of gas.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW! JRAK pm'd me and he hit the nail on the head! After I swapped the plugs out I had plugs 1&3 swapped around. Unplugged them, swappe them into the correct spots and BINGO! Problem solved!!! I am soo fricken excited!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Looks like maybe JRak uses Occam's Razor to keep that dome of his clean. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.