New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A thought occured to me...I bought my 2000 V6 cougar used and discovered it had a remote starter module. Of course the remote for it is probably with the second key that the dealership and I never received apparently. Maybe it was a government repo cuz there's no other reason to sell it to a dealership/auction place without the remote and yet not take the module out lol. And then when I was browsing ebay I noticed that they sell cougar key remotes
So um....do cougars come with a stock receiver for that? :confused: Cuz I'd be pissed if all this time all I needed was the remote. I assumed it didn't have wireless anything.
Also, what are the odds that I can find and get programmed a remote for my remote started module (couldn't find the brand, sorry)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Thats just a stock key-fob... not a remote start. It locks/unlocks your doors, opens the trunk, and sets off the alarm/turns it off.

I'm sure I've heard of people buying one of those, and calibrating it to their car... Theres gotta be a how-to somewhere.

If you want an actual remote start (one that starts the engine)... thats its own seperate package.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would most likely assume that the stock module for the factory remotes is still in the car. Those are usually left in the car if someone puts an aftermarket system in. As long as the car came with wireless from the factory. I dont know if all cougars came with it or not so someone else chime in and answer that question. But I would assume that all you needed is a remote and then program that remote.

Personally I would just replace the keyless system anyway with another aftermarket one. The factory ones suck anyway.

Edit. (for keyless entry)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as the car came with wireless from the factory. I dont know if all cougars came with it or not so someone else chime in and answer that question
yeah I second that. I just wanted to know if it's standard or if it's an option. And if it's an option then where the receiver is so I can check.
and ND4SPD, my post doesn't even make sense to me reading it back :biggrin: but I meant that I found a remote start module under the dash but don't have a remote for it which is what made me wonder if I was supposed to get a remote for a stock door unlocker/locker/hood opener/alarm setter offer. I gotta buy at least one remote for the remote starter module and then maybe or maybe not one for the doors and all that. Btw my friend got his one at Autozone and the modules are identical so it's most likely this one which of course means that the previous owner was a double douchebag for not even giving the dealership one of the TWO remotes when he traded it in

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
oooooooh... it kind of sounded like you thought the stock key-fob WAS a remote start... :crazy: :)

Well in that case, yes... I believe you SHOULD have gotten a remote (like the one you linked to) that unlocks/locks/trunk etc... I've never seen someone (regardless of sport/power package or not) NOT having one of those. Cougars did NOT come with a remote for starting the engine.

If someone went out of their way to install an engine remote start... and then didn't include the remote... I think you are outta luck. Don't those things have special codes that only work between the original remote and the module (a security thing)?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Who was the aftermarket system made by? I know I sell viper systems and they sell extra remotes. So you might beable to contact the company and get a replacement remote. And then just program it like you would have to with the origional remotes. Not that hard.

If you just wanted to get a replacement stock lock/unlock remote, ebay would be the best place. And then just program that one.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Who was the aftermarket system made by? I know I sell viper systems and they sell extra remotes. So you might beable to contact the company and get a replacement remote. And then just program it like you would have to with the origional remotes. Not that hard.
I would think it similar to having a nice Alpine or Pioneer Headunit......but without the faceplate. Call them up and say you need a new one... lol. It won't happen :tongue:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Nah you can get them. we sell them for viper right out of our install bay. they arent programed but its not that hard to hook up. Maybe some companys dont do it, but i know viper does.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I'll have to get the exact matching model number and brand from Autozone and look it up on the maker's website.
But so far every single one of you has keyless lock/unlock and all that with your cougars?

·
Tornado Alley Moderator
1,067 Posts
well I'll have to get the exact matching model number and brand from Autozone and look it up on the maker's website.
But so far every single one of you has keyless lock/unlock and all that with your cougars?
Yep...I've got keyless entry on mine (2001 ATX Cougar) and mine has 2 sets and I have a remote with both of them....however I did buy the car new...but yeah I have keyless

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fiiiiinally found it! According to this page on autotrader's website, keyless entry is an option. So that means my car may or may not have it. I know mine is the special package with the schmancy overhead warning lights and powered seat adjusters and some other stuff so I'm thinking it has that too but I dunno for sure. Anyone know where the reciever should be so I can check if mine has one?

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I would imagine you have a keyless entry module on that car. My car is a 99 5 speed non-sport package, no leather v6 car with a moonroof and I ahve keyless. The more I think about it I don't know that I have ever heard of anyone with a cougar not having keyless, mayb e the 4 cylinder 5-speed cars that were sold as fleet cars.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The stock keyless module is located behind the glovebox...not sure what it looks like. I would say buy a fob on ebay and give it a try. Most likely you have the keyless module. Worst case: you dont and u waisted 10 bucks and learned something about your car. nothing to cry about.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you try and put a cougar that doesn't have the keyless entry module into programming mode, it simply wont work. <--Easiest way i've found, and you don't have to look for the module.

try this and if the light doesn't stay on, it doesn't have keyless
Program Keyless entry how to

and another note, my 4cyl base model mtx doesn't have it :cry:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wouldn't trust the ebay instructions really... go with the cougardb way.
In my cougar I dropped the glovebox and there was a box there that was NOT the keyless entry module. It had a bracket on it that the keyless box probably gets bolted to. Also I've heard that with premium sound there should be an amp right behind the glovebox that you'll have to remove.(this may only be in the contour though)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well it sounds a lot easier to just see if it goes into programming mode but what happens if it is equipped with keyless entry and I don't give it a signal? Will it just stop waiting and reset after like a minute? Or will it make my car explode or brick the computer lol (geek term :tongue:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts