New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a dumb question but: my OIL cap doesn't spin up to the stop - it might be spinned, and spinned, and spinned with just a little click at the maximum effort - but then it overtwists and so on...

Is it normal or it should be spined up to the stop?

I am asking because I can't find a reason of my

1. P0171
Powertrain: Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

2. P0174
Powertrain: Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

And I have read that non-tight OIL cap or OIL dipstick may cause such errors...

·
8,582 Posts
Sounds like the threads on the cap are stripped! :) (At least I hope it's the cap, it could be the valve cover...)

·
Banned
5,184 Posts

1. P0171

2. P0174

and it also sounds like you have an intake leak of some sort. something leaking after the MAF is giving you the lean code.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skater, so you have a stock OIL cap that might be tighten up to the stop?

jrak123, maybe - but I can't find it....:banghead:

·
Banned
5,184 Posts

jrak123, maybe - but I can't find it....:banghead:
carb cleaner is your best friend, spray evenrything down with car is at idle and listen for a change in the way the engine runs. don't go crazy, do small areas first. Starting with the TB, then move to the vac lines then to the gasketed areas and injector ports

·
8,582 Posts
I think so - but I deal with three oil caps on a fairly regular basis so I don't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure the Cougar's tightens down then clicks once. I don't tighten it beyond that point.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but: my OIL cap doesn't spin up to the stop - it might be spinned, and spinned, and spinned with just a little click at the maximum effort - but then it overtwists and so on...

Is it normal or it should be spined up to the stop?

1. P0171

2. P0174

Hi Professor Nimnul. I went out and checked my oil fill cap (2001 Cougar V-6, original cap). It only turns on about a quarter/half turn, then comes to a firm stop, no clicking. It is not the ratcheting type.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BBF2530, thank you! But you know - I've read somewhere at the NECO forums that 2000+ cougs have different OIL cap - not equal to 1999...

So - I guess I have to order a new one...

·
Registered
231 Posts
BBF2530, thank you! But you know - I've read somewhere at the NECO forums that 2000+ cougs have different OIL cap - not equal to 1999...

So - I guess I have to order a new one...
Hi Professor!:wave: Yes, there is a possibility that the caps pre-2001 were different (I do not know). That is why I mentioned that mine was a 2001. I had a 1999 V-6 Cougar, but really cannot recall what type cap it had (ratcheting or hard stop). I have had cars with the ratcheting type, and it is hard to tell if that is the performance you are describing. Of course, if one of us was there, we could tell you immediately if it was bad or not, but unfortunately, we're not.

If you ask the Parts Manager at your local Lincoln/Mercury or Ford Dealership to look up the part numbers for the 1999 and the 2001, you can see if they are different.

In the end, from your description of how it tightens, it would seem there may be a problem (stripped?). It is odd though, I cannot remember ever hearing of a stripped oil cap on a modern car. Would certainly take some force to do that!

Another idea. Why not just go to your local Ford Dealer and ask the Service Manager if he/she or one of the Service Technicians can just take a quick look at it, since you are concerned. It's not as though it needs to be hooked up to the OBD computer. It will be a quick visual check. Maybe it is perfectly fine.

Otherwise, just purchase a new one, and put your worries away.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
8,582 Posts
Yes, the '99/'00 caps are different than the '01/'02 caps. The valve covers for the two engines are different and the caps are not interchangeable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts