New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I noticed that after starting up my cougar, generally after shifting into gear or turning the steering wheel, the car omits some kind of awful noise. It's not really a screech or anything. It's more of a "moan" if that makes sense at all. Also, the noise is continuous - not patterned after some kind of ups and downs. Follow?

Anyway, I should also add that my friends Coug does that exact same thing. After we put in our intakes, the noise is only louder.... much louder.

It's embarrasing trying to ride around in a nice little car like a Coug and then hear that when I pull out of my driveway.

BTW, though the noise is apparent throughout the year, it is defintely more predominant in the colder parts.

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
moosing...common on the cougar....i havent had that problem but i have seen alot of posts on it

do a seach for moosing and you will get some answers on how to fix it

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
sort of on the same topic. My coug i don't believe mooses, if that's what you described. It rather my car kind of bounces when i fully turn the wheel all the way to the right or left. Maybe because of the 17" rims? Also, is it just my cougar or do all cougars have horrible turning radius's?:confused:

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Moosing means your Idle Air Control Valve (or Idle Speed Actuator, as it's sometimes called) is getting sticky. It's okay, it's not hurting anything...yet. If you replace the IACV, the noise will stop.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Tygerr
my car kind of bounces when i fully turn the wheel all the way to the right or left. Maybe because of the 17" rims? confused;
Bad tie rod maybe? Check out your tires and see if there is any uneven wear on the tread... That may be your problem if so.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My last car was a big ol' boat - a 96 Ford Thunderbird LX. That car had a much better turning radius than the Cougar.

As for the "moosing", thank you. I didn't exactly know what to search for!

Thanks!

Oh yeah, what's this person referring to in the link below? The "tube fix" didn't find that anywhere else.

Link

·
Administrator
24,503 Posts
Some say to replace the hose to the IACV with a huge, convoluted piece of heater hose. That may mask the problem, but it doesn't fix it. Plus it looks like ass under your hood.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,864 Posts
If it changes the noise when you turn the wheel it could be the power steering pump. All my cars make that noise in the winter. I think its because the power steering fluid is getting close to freezing. I give it a min or to and its gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts