New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i just bought a 1987 Cougar LS and so far i've had no problem with it. i was just wondering if you guys would be able to give me a hand with it. i want to make it 1: better on gas, 2: more horsepower, and 3: have it turn heads with how it looks. one problem im kinda limited on cash so if you guys have any ideas on how i could manage to do this on a limited income please feel free to give me your 2 cents.

·
8,545 Posts
You might check out this site: Cool Cats. It's focused on the 1983-88 Cougars.

Although I haven't looked recently, I think there are a number of Cougar sites for every style of Cougar made. :)

--RJ

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
yup...this site is really catering to 99-02 cougars...

but i do detect one problem with your goals...more horsepower and better gas mileage usually dont go well together.

·
Um...
3,283 Posts
Not always though... technically, a high flow exhaust and larger air intake will offer better gas mileage, and minor horsepower gains. That is when you can keep your foot from slamming down on the gas pedal.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was thinking about making my pully's smaller so that there is less friction only would that really do good for my engine cause it has 183K miles on it as it is. i am rebuilding a 5.0 for my car but for the engine that is in it now do you think that the pullys would do any real harm to the motor before i finish the 5.0?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would say to not dump any money into an engine that isn't going to be in your car very long. Especially one that is approaching 200 thousand miles! Just work on the cosmetic stuff for now, then when the new engine is installed you can do additions there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts