New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site, I just had a Ractive muffler installed on my I4 99 cougar today. It's not ricey, it's deep and actually not all that loud. I was wondering besides a muffler or dual exhaust...how would I get extra tones out of my car? I don't know how much more clear to ask that question. I know if you install an intake, there will be somewhat of a deep engine tone added. I want my car to sound powerful, any suggestions? Yeah, yeah...if i wanted power, why did I buy a 4 banger...but any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
did you remove the resonator as well??? that will help out considerably with making it 'louder'.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
i removed mine, i never got in trouble. the resonator is just a silencer anyways, so unless you have a noise pollution law in your area, i don't see it being illegal.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
well I have a catback, and all that has is a muffler, no resonator. And I passed inspection in July with it so I guess it's ok to not have a resonator as long as it's not insanely loud.

Mike

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? Yeah I'll have to go up to the shop where I get some of my work done and ask them about removing the resonator, see what they think...their also an inspection station so they'd tell me...Is there anything else that you can do for modification to get a cougar to sound louder, more powerful?

·
Registered
145 Posts
the resonator isn't a silencer more or less.. isn't that the braided steel? That absorbs vibrations directly fromt he engine so the rest of your exhaust doesn't jingle jangle.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: nmrfl17
the resonator isn't a silencer more or less.. isn't that the braided steel? That absorbs vibrations directly fromt he engine so the rest of your exhaust doesn't jingle jangle.

Ummm... no, thats the flex pipe. The resonator tones down the exhaust note.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by: rista
i removed mine, i never got in trouble. the resonator is just a silencer anyways, so unless you have a noise pollution law in your area, i don't see it being illegal.

I actually do have a noise law where I live. Would removing the resonator make my car loud as all hell or would it just make subtle difference?

Because my license is on a probationary period right now and I don't even care to see a cop's face in my car window again for a long time. haha

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
you have an i4... you dont have to worry about a noise ordinace with your car if you still have a muffler. bout the only way you could get in trouble is if you disconnected your exhaust at the y-pipe. remove the resonator, gut the precats. thats the best you can do for "free" without removing the entire exhaust. but you have to remember... you have an i4. its tough to get a "deep" tone out of them, especially without a specific muffler. but good luck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so everyone is in agreement that if i remove my resonator my car might be a lil bit louder but wouldnt be roaring?

also - not going to lose mpg,hp,torque - anything like that....think it would improve slightly?

·
Registered
133 Posts
if you remove your resonator don't go to caribou they'll nail ya for sure. it looks like another muffler in the middle of the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i did mine down here. if you go to caribou the cops will nail ya. mostly doug bell he got my freind with a 89 z24 when he had it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.