New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here i go again. my gmc-lovin neighbors car! :mad: I have a K&N cold air intake on my cougar. He has intake headers and exhaust. Am I toast? Im just wondering...I'm not really a racer but I love sayin MY CAR IS BETTER B*tch. That 3.4 has 200hp anyhow, those mods my be my worst enemy. but the impala also weighs about 3500lbs.

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Hey, here's an idea . . . instead of posting on a forum and asking "will my car beat this other car?" why don't you, oh I dunno, GO OUT AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF, which would give you an actual answer instead of just speculation.

Oh, and I'm SURE you're doing this at a drag strip, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, here's an idea . . . instead of posting on a forum and asking "will my car beat this other car?" why don't you, oh I dunno, GO OUT AND FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF, which would give you an actual answer instead of just speculation.

Oh, and I'm SURE you're doing this at a drag strip, right? :rolleyes:
Hey, here's an idea...if you don't like what I posted, don't read it. ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey, here's an idea...if you don't like what I posted, don't read it. ;)
If he doesn't read it, how is he going to know what you posted?

If you don't like getting told to stop asking "will my car beat my GM fan boy neighbors car" then stop talking to your neighbor?

Another idea would be to read the 2.0/2.5/3.0 section that matches your engine size in your car and get an understanding of what your can can currently do and what it could do with certain modifications. After that, go look at the car you are trying to judge it against and what it could potentially have in it for engine and modifications, then you will know.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he doesn't read it, how is he going to know what you posted?

If you don't like getting told to stop asking "will my car beat my GM fan boy neighbors car" then stop talking to your neighbor?

Another idea would be to read the 2.0/2.5/3.0 section that matches your engine size in your car and get an understanding of what your can can currently do and what it could do with certain modifications. After that, go look at the car you are trying to judge it against and what it could potentially have in it for engine and modifications, then you will know.
No. no. He knew what this thread was about before he entered it, pal. I believe half of the neco members are ragging everytime they read one of my threads.What I posted was HARMLESS. JESUS. High strung maniacs, I tell ya.:eek:

·
8,582 Posts
As an owner of both of those vehicles, I feel I am able to respond intelligently.

First some corrections:
The 3.4L engine has 180 HP stock. And it weighs 3400 lbs, so it's 600 lbs heavier than our cars. The headers and exhaust he has will help though - especially if he got rid of the exhaust U-bend Chevy graciously installed. :rolleyes:

Stock, I think the Cougar would win, as long as you drive it well. But the Impala is torquey off the line compared to the Cougar (pushrod power), so I wouldn't be surprised to see that he pulls ahead a bit then you reel him in.

As modified, I think he'd win. I don't think it'd be a smackdown though. But I could be wrong - I don't race my cars. It's kinda hard to drive two of them at the same time. ;)

And point him toward NAIOA if he's not already aware of it. :)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You will lose. If you even try to race, both of your cars will explode, and you will spend the rest of your life in GMC Hell so I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As an owner of both of those vehicles, I feel I am able to respond intelligently.

First some corrections:
The 3.4L engine has 180 HP stock. And it weighs 3400 lbs, so it's 600 lbs heavier than our cars. The headers and exhaust he has will help though - especially if he got rid of the exhaust U-bend Chevy graciously installed. :rolleyes:

Stock, I think the Cougar would win, as long as you drive it well. But the Impala is torquey off the line compared to the Cougar (pushrod power), so I wouldn't be surprised to see that he pulls ahead a bit then you reel him in.

As modified, I think he'd win. I don't think it'd be a smackdown though. But I could be wrong - I don't race my cars. It's kinda hard to drive two of them at the same time. ;)

And point him toward NAIOA if he's not already aware of it. :)
The best,:thumbsup: well put REAL answer I got. Kudos to you! :thumbsup:

·
8,582 Posts
You'll win... impala's = grandprix's pretty much..

driver's race tho.
The Grand Prixs and Monte Carlos are very slightly lighter than the Impalas (honestly, I think it's because of the lack of the hardware and motors for the windows on the back doors - the curb weight is like 70 lbs less or something), but you're right they have the same engine options. A 3.4L Grand Prix, yeah.

Don't mess with a Grand Prix GT though, with the 3.8L Supercharged engine. Whew. I had one as a rental car a couple months back and wow that was fun. :evil: Best. Rental. Ever. Especially since I was paying the "compact car" rate.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Don't mess with a Grand Prix GT though, with the 3.8L Supercharged engine. Whew. I had one as a rental car a couple months back and wow that was fun. :evil: Best. Rental. Ever. Especially since I was paying the "compact car" rate.
You mean, GTP. ;) And yes, the GTP's have some power. But, they are friggin' boats and only come with an automatic transmission :thumbsdn:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I can't remember if the Malibu has the same engine, but my buddy had an atx Malibu with the V6 and I beat him, from a roll he gets me off the line and a reel him in (unless I want to dump it it second at 30mph then he wouldn't have a chance) and off the line I killed him, he chopped his exhaust, heavy 18's and subs. I think I had I/E at the time, no headers or SVT stuff for sure.

·
8,582 Posts
You mean, GTP. ;) And yes, the GTP's have some power. But, they are friggin' boats and only come with an automatic transmission :thumbsdn:
The new ones are just marked as GT's. Older ones were GTPs. See here.

That "friggin' boat" will kill many of the Cougars on here. :)

I can't remember if the Malibu has the same engine...
The Malibus have different engines.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The new ones are just marked as GT's. Older ones were GTPs. See here.

That "friggin' boat" will kill many of the Cougars on here. :)
For some reason I was thinking you were talking about the 6th generation. As far as the 7th generation goes, 2004 and 2005 kept the names the same (GT was powered with the 3.8L N/A and the GTP was the supercharged version.) In 2006, they dropped the GTP and started powering the GT with the supercharger.

And I definitely know a GTP will work a Cougar. I was looking at purchasing one before buying the Cougar I now have. I loved the GTP's power, but the handling left a lot to be desired and they only offer them with an automatic transmission :banghead:

·
8,582 Posts
I was looking at purchasing one before buying the Cougar I now have. I loved the GTP's power, but the handling left a lot to be desired and they only offer them with an automatic transmission :banghead:
I disagree, I thought the GT handled about the same as the Cougar, or perhaps even better. It certainly beat me up on rough roads just like the Cougar does. But I was driving an '07 (I think) GT, so it's possible they improved it after you test drove the GTP.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I disagree, I thought the GT handled about the same as the Cougar, or perhaps even better. It certainly beat me up on rough roads just like the Cougar does. But I was driving an '07 (I think) GT, so it's possible they improved it after you test drove the GTP.
I test drove the 6th gen GTP (one of these).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Aren't cougars heavier than 2800lbs? It's been a few years since I owned one, but I thought they were also around 3600 lbs? In my personal opinion, it's a driver's race against a 3.4L. If you have an MTX it's your race to win or lose.

Against GM's 3.8L = loss (stockers) in any W-body by reason of torque
Blown 3.8L = (loss +2)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.