New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 V6 cougar wont start! I notice when driving the car the head lamps and dashboard lights would dim while driving it. Now for over a week it start that when i put the key in all the dash lights would work but when i turn the key the engine does nothing! i played with the controls and determined that when i turn the headlamps on a humming noise would come from the engine and it would start. Then it started happen more often. I brought it to a mechanic and mention the alternator he diagnosed it and said the laternator it fine and he said some wired were carowded and fixed them. i then work but that evening it did the same thing... then the next day it worked! now 3 days later doing the same thing just wont start.... PLEASE help!

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Check your fuel pump relay...

it is the same as your AC relay (i think), just swap them around and see if that helps...

You should hear that humming noise EVERY time right before you turn the key to start... That is the Fuel pump priming...

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Theres ALOT of grounds, in alot of places. Unless you know this car and engine VERY well, its very easy to miss one. And one is enough to cause problems.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
varies from car to car. Theres 3-5 underneath the battery tray, you would have to remove the battery and the tray liner to get to them at all. Theres several that attach to the engine, trany and coil pack. Thats all i can remember off the top of my head but im sure im forgetting at least a few.

PS and just because a ground is attached doesnt mean its working well still.... the connection could be corroded. And need to be cleaned off on the wire and grounding surface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts